Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Stock air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Grr287
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock air intake question

I've done some searching and read some threads, but I'm still a little unclear on something. Are there aftermarket air filters that I can drop into the stock air intake that will make the turbo whistle louder? I'm sure this is a pretty common question that you guys get alot, but I'm new to this diesel stuff.

-Garrett

Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Coal Train
All Star

The filter isn't the problem on the stock intake, it's the baffling inside the tube going to the turbo.

You can gut the tube and it makes it significantly louder (and opens up the tube).

All you need to do is pull the tube and two elbows off, remove the hose clamps, pull the elbows off the tube (making a note of the alignment marks on it..there is one mark on one side and two on the other and corresponding marks on the elbows).

Once you take the elbows off, you need to pry the one end off the tube with a scrwe driver. You can't scrwe it up, only one side comes apart. It's the top portion of the tube. Just put a flat head screw driver in the gap and start popping it apart.

You are breaking the seal, but it goes back together easily.

Now, once it's separated, just pul the guts out of the tube. They come right out.

Once that's out and you're ready to put it back together, get some Gorilla Glue and run a bead around the area that you seperated.

Use two large clamps and clamp the tube together and let it sit overnight.

The Gorilla glue is going to expand and squeeze out of the gap. You'll need to trim the excess in the morning.

Trim it up, put the elbows back on (using the reference marks) and reinstall.

It's MUCH easier than it sounds.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Coal Train
All Star

You're in luck.

I just did a stock intake tube for a buddy a couple weeks back and have a few pictures from it.

Here's your stock tube (although this is the finished picture):

Name:  Tube4.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  101.4 KB

Here is the area that you need to break the seal on to remove the guts and reglue it back together.

Notice the arrow in the picture. One side has one, the other has two. The elbows have corresponding marks and you simply line them up:

Name:  Tube3.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  83.9 KB

Here is what the glue looks like after the guts are removed and it has sat overnight and expanded. This is why you need to clamp it together. Gorilla Glue DOES NOT come apart:

Name:  Tube2.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  49.9 KB

All you need is an Exacto knife to trim out the excess.

Here it is assmebled and ready to go back in:

Name:  Tube4.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  101.4 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tube4.jpg (101.4 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Coal Train; 03-16-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Grr287
Captain

Does the baffling help filter any particles from getting past the air filter, or is it strictly for noise reduction? Also, I use gorilla glue quite a bit, so I know it's good stuff, but it doesn't have any trouble handling the high temperatures from the engine? i.e., it's not going to gradually break down over time? sorry for so many questions. also, thanks for the pics and detailed directions, they will help alot.

Last edited by Grr287; 03-16-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Coal Train
All Star

The baffling is for nothing but noise reduction.

Remove that and the silencer ring and your truck sounds more like a jet spooling up.

Gorilla Glue is just fine. You won't have issues with it. It's completely waterproof and it's on the upper section of the tube. The temps it sees are not much more than the intake air temps.

The actual sealing surfaces are inside the cap and tube, not what you see on the ouside. There is a lip inside the cap that the tube actually seals to.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Grr287
Captain

gotcha. one last question....what does this mean for the warranty? i'm assuming it can't be that big of a deal...but then again...

Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

also, remove the silencer ring... there is a diy in the diy thread for it.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:55 AM
jagass
Professional

Yup, there are aftermarket air filters...I will search for that too...

Old 03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Grr287
Captain

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
also, remove the silencer ring... there is a diy in the diy thread for it.
yea i saw that thread, and my buddy and i tried it, but i couldn't get the snap ring out and im too afraid of causing any damage to the turbo, so i just let it be. i might try again later on today.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

It is a tight fit but it will come out. work on one end, once it's lifted place something else under it and work it out. the difference is very noticeable.

Quick Reply: Stock air intake question