Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

1998 12valve Longevity (a good buy)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Sniper5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 12valve Longevity (a good buy)?

New to the forum, but been snooping around for info. My wife and I are looking for a good truck that will last us at least 8 years, and I think I've found one. It's a 1998 2500 4x4 12valve cummins, new windshield, new starter, rebuilt transmission (about 15000 miles ago) with 137,000 miles on the ticker. It has some cosmetic issues that I'm not too concerned about, but my wife and I are worried that it's a 98 and wont last the 8-10 years that we need it to, or that it wont be reliable durring that time due to its age (she hauls horses and I dont want her to get left somewhere needing a toe).
The story on the truck is that the guy (older gentleman) used it to drive out west and to alaska for hunting trips hauling a camper or trailer, and then would store it most of the winter. There are a few leeks (around the transfer cases, and a small oil leak from the engine area), but as a whole I didn't see anything that made me think there was something seriously wrong with it.

My question is how long do you guys think it will last and will it be reliable?

Also, any oppinions on what to look for and what it might need soon, so I have an idea on how much I might have to put into it to get it into tip top shape would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

they say those engines last forever but the truck around them falls apart. I have my doubts about the diesel engines from seeing my uncle dump money into his and their lack of performance on the road but I think I might get one if they do infact get 20mpg.....

Old 04-04-2009, 05:13 PM
mfelsk1505

have heard of the motors going 300000 2 of my buddys have them and they have almost 200000 on them and they are both getting alot of power out of them. the only thing i dont like about them is that they are really loud compared to my 24 valve.

Quick Reply: 1998 12valve Longevity (a good buy)?