Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Dodge 2500 Mega 4x4 Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 AM
BlueonBlue250X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge 2500 Mega 4x4 Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel Purchase

I am a new member to your Dodge Forum. Would anyone be willing to give me some good advice? I am trying to collect all of the facts and do some research before purchasing my next truck. I have owned a few Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cabs, and currently own a Chevy Avalanche Z71. Both trucks have been gasoline engines. I am seriously considering the Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Turbo Diesel since the pricing is so good. I have a 30' Jayco bumper trailer, and it pulls fine behind my Chevy, but I believe it is about to burn up my transmission from hauling it long distances. The trailer loaded with our stuff weighs about 7,900 lbs. I would like start making some trips cross country, and that is the reason I am looking at the Cummins Turbo Diesel. I have never owned a Diesel and wanted to know if anyone would be willing to share their points of view with me on owning one. Is there anything that I should consider about my purchase? I have heard mixed things about the 6.7 liter Turbo, and 5.9 in the 06 models. I am not convinced that I will buy a new one, but just looking for some feedback and facts. How much difference is there in the general maintenance and up keep? Should I buy a new 09 or a used 08-06 with low miles. I am planning on buying something within in the 2-3 weeks. My commute from my home to my office is about 17 miles one way and would like to get better gas mileage than I am right now including when I am towing my camper and boat. Should I buy one with the Big Horn package? Any feedback from any members would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
BlueonBlue250X

Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to DF BlueonBlue, Ill move this over to the Ram CTD Section. Those guys should be able to give you the advice you are looking for! Good luck and let us know how you do

Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 PM
seattlestones

BlueonBlue: Bought an 06 Mega brand new w/ the 5.9 CTD. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Don't think I will go back to a gasser again. Diesel power is very addictive. One trip in a diesel rig towing a heavy load over a distance will be enough to convert you...trust me. I laugh at my gasser friends who complain about their crappy mileage...my 5.9 gets great mileage. If you aren't stuck on having something "Brand New" I would look for a gently used 5.9 CTD. Just my $.02. I haven't ridden or driven the 6.7 CTD so I have nothing bad to say about it...I have heard that the mileage is less on the 6.7 vs. 5.9. Welcome and good luck if you choose to purchase.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Welcome to the CTD forum. As Seattle said, you will love the Cummins setup the first time you tow with it. I have a Quad Cab with the 6.7L, and I really like it. I have never been in a Mega Cab, but the bigger backseat room must be nice. Others have said that if you plan to use a fifth wheel-type hitch, you really should get the long bed pickup, which is not available with the Mega Cab. If you're just going to use a regular trailer hitch it's not an issue.

The 6.7 engine is great; very powerful, smooth, and relatively quiet. Everyone seems to hear a lot of bad rumors about the 6.7L Cummins, but most of the forum members here have had good experiences. I think I was the first forum member to get the 6.7, and I have not had any problems. It's true the fuel economy is better with the 5.9. I have been tracking every fillup on an Excel spreadsheet. I started out at around 14 MPG, and it's slowly increased to over 16 MPG. At 21,000 miles it's probably not even broken it yet, so I hope it continues to increase up to 17 or 18.

I was part of the 6.7 Cummins beta test for the Edge Juice w/Attitude programmer in early 2007. My advice to 6.7 Cummins owners is to not use any power programmers unless you also remove the diesel particulate filter (DPF), otherwise it clogs up with soot. I removed my Edge box for after the beta test was complete to prevent warranty hassles from Dodge. In the future I would like to remove the DPF and oxidation catalyst, and then reinstall my Edge box.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 PM
BlueonBlue250X

Thank you to everyone who took the time to provide me with some great feedback. I have heard the same things from my close friends regarding the mileage difference in the 06 and 08-09. I like the Quad Cab, but after sitting in the back of the Quad Cab after a recent test drive I decided it was very uncomfortable, and I would need a Mega Cab. I have found a few trucks that I am interested in that 06 with low mileage. The only that makes it a tough decision is they have some outstanding pricing on 09 Big Horn editions in my area here in K.C.

Thanks,
BlueonBlue

Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 AM
DT1972

stick to the 5.9. if you dont believe me, do a search of 6.7l turbo failures and issues. When it is running right it is Awesome, power, exhaust brake, 6-speed auto trans. But, we have seen nothing but problems with Turbos and exhaust systems.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 AM
09W3500
Rookie

Originally Posted by seattlestones
Diesel power is very addictive.
Truer word were never spoken (or written)!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 AM
CHK_ENG_LGHT
Amateur

I have the 08 6.7 mega cab model. It is alot more comfortable than the quad cab. If you need the room, then don't think it twice to get the mega cab. The 6.7 engine runs super strong and smooth. I have a uncle that has a stock 06 5.9, and it does not have the power that the 6.7 has. The 6.7 is faster and stronger than the 5.9.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

When the 6.7 was new, there were some issues with the turbos and the emissions system. Those, for the most part, have been taken care of. Yes, there are still some minor issues that pop up. Easy enough to remedy. Delete the DPF and block off the EGR and remove the EGR cooler, and youll have not one problem. Theres a couple programmers out (the Smarty and H&S XRT) that allow for a code free delete. Otherwise, on an Edge or PMT, youll have to wait for the codes to be erased before firing the engine.

Is the 6.7 as reliable as the 5.9? Yes, I believe it can, in both stock and deleted forms. Itll be extremely reliable (hey, its a Cummins right?) with the deletes done. Almost guaranteed. So dont be afraid of the 6.7...

That being said, Im currently working on trading my 07 5.9/auto in on an 09 Mega 6.7/manual.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Fabman1

any updates on this topic? I too am looking at geting a newer mega cab and was interested in the 5.9 vs the 6.7

Quick Reply: Dodge 2500 Mega 4x4 Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel Purchase