Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First Diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Tikibeast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post First Diesel.

I found a 2002 Ram 2500 with 90k miles on it, it's 4wd with a 6spd. All in all this truck meets my goals/desires. I want a diesel (for durability, longevity, ease of modification, hauling capability, and fuel efficiency), I need a 4x4 (I live in a desert, my work frequently requires me to drive through inclement and unpleasant weather conditions during the storm seasons, etc), and I want a stick (honestly I hate automatics, sticks are generally better for milage, and a stick with most likely last longer than an auto) so all in all this truck is perfect. I chose a Dodge because I trust the Cummins engine vastly more than the alternatives, and I've heard nothing but good things about them and my old Ram (gas) was a solid and reliable truck.

Ok now my main questions, I commute to work roughly 80mi a day, I'm hoping to get 22-24mpg out of this truck, the truck currently has a 4" exhaust (mfg unknown until I go look at it myself) and an Edge Comp Box on it. I'm considering replacing the box with a tuner from Superchips or Banks because they should allow for more mileage gains than the Edge box, am I right or wrong here? Secondly I'm not a very tall guy (5'6) and it has come to my attention that the stock height on the dodge will very likely make loading and unloading bike in and out of the truck a hassle so I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with slight lowering on 4x4's. I realize that's completely backwards but I don't think a loss of an inch or two of ground clearance will make that big of a difference when it comes to driving through half a foot of snow or rain. My main concern is not having to pick up a secondary truck because I can't reach up far enough to load a bike in my 4x4 on level ground.

Any thoughts, questions, or comments are greatly appreciated, ty.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Air up your tires, drive slow and with purpose, keep your filters (air, fuel) clean, buy fuel from a good source. It has been my experience that power adders do not provide a measurable difference in fuel economy. I had a programmer on both my Fords, and have a chip for my current truck, and NONE of them has provided a measurable difference. I'm sure there will be people that will chime in and say they got 5+ mpg from some power adder, but I just don't buy it. I can achieve mid 20 mpg with my truck, and have hit 21.xx a couple times so you should be able to get there.

I believe some guys remove the spring perch blocks or trade them out for 2 wd perches to level their trucks. Hopefully someone that has done that will chime in.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Tikibeast

As to removing the blocks my question is; is there an actual reduction in height or is it a matter of leveling out the ride height on the truck when loaded/unloaded? A little lost as to the purpose of this. And as to the tuners I came across an article in Diesel Power recently about a new programmer being produced by Superchips and an excerpt included in the mention that the (I believe it was him) Richard Petty Driving Experience uses Dodge Rams as their tow vehicles for their trailers and they showed a 20% increase in fuel mileage due to the increase in power allowing the trucks to remain in top gear more often (more power equaling less downshifting). Not to argue but I can see the logic in the top gear issue increasing fuel economy.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

If you change the spring perches to a smaller one you will lower the truck.

Don't believe everything you read. If you buy a tuner or chip for economy, ask them to put the economy claim in simple clear writing with a money back guarantee. This way if I'm right you get your money back, if I'm wrong you get better economy. Fair enough?

Old 05-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Tikibeast

Originally Posted by NickBeek
If you change the spring perches to a smaller one you will lower the truck.

Don't believe everything you read. If you buy a tuner or chip for economy, ask them to put the economy claim in simple clear writing with a money back guarantee. This way if I'm right you get your money back, if I'm wrong you get better economy. Fair enough?
Ok both work for me, and I'll keep those spring perches in mind, thank you.

Quick Reply: First Diesel.