Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Would a programer cause injection pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
DOGSRIDE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a programer cause injection pump failure?

On my 06 with programer, exhaust, and CAI. I noticed a fuel smell one day a few months ago. I checked under the hood and noticed the injection pump was moist with fuel, no drips. I called the manufacturer of the programer to see if this was common and they said they never had a problem before. i even told them that the dealer was changing the part under warr. i just didn't want to go thur all the bs and have the new pump do the same. Well guess what ? the day i picked up the truck it had that smell of raw fuel. now its been two weeks and one towing trip of 50 miles and it seems worse. Anyone have advice for me?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 PM
racer9
Veteran

An '06 doesn't have an injection pump, it's a common rail system. That means a fuel "rail" is connected to all the injectors, is pressurized and an electronic pulse fires the injector.
What is probably leaking is the CP3 fuel pump, which is what pressurizes the rail, or one of the fittings or lines.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:35 PM
terb

Lots of miles could make it leak or just bad luck.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:24 PM
DOGSRIDE

Originally Posted by racer9
An '06 doesn't have an injection pump, it's a common rail system. That means a fuel "rail" is connected to all the injectors, is pressurized and an electronic pulse fires the injector.
What is probably leaking is the CP3 fuel pump, which is what pressurizes the rail, or one of the fittings or lines.
wow. my invoice states:
customer states injection pump is leaking.
found injection pump leaking.
replaced injection pump.
a20 3112
r5191780AA pump.

??

Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

Injection pump and fuel pump is same thing just two ways of saying it. Unless ofcourse youre talking about the lift pump which I guess could also be called a fuel pump.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 PM
DOGSRIDE
Question were getting off the subject.

will the programmer harm the pump? i looked today for fuel leaks and found nun. the fuel odor increases when you go from stock, towing, performance and then to extreme mode. but when you open the hood there's no smell ???

Old 05-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

cp3 pumps tend to weep alittle with age. I would think the programmer could cause it to weep more because you are incresing the fuel pressure in the rail making it push harder.

Quick Reply: Would a programer cause injection pump failure?