Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Front brakes... having some trouble stopping.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:25 PM
MarineCorpsMP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Front brakes... having some trouble stopping.

So i recently purchased a 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 H.O. I decided to put on some new tires at midas and during that time i was informed that I need new front brake pads and roaters and (soon) i will need new brake shoes in the rear. So funds were a little low and i had 4 tires, brakes and roaters installed in the front and decided to hold off for the brake shoes in the rear.

Well, now i notice my braking is strong at first but seems to become weaker espeially if i hit the brakes very hard. But the odd thing is that the petal is not spongy but actually very very firm. So i figured my breaking would improve by having new brakes in the front but as it turns out it is actually worse.

So what could my problem be? I put on maybe 400 miles mixed city/highway driving on the new brakes and they still suck. Is it because of the rear brakes being worn and front being new? It almost feels like the ABS is kicking in but i just dont feel like I am braking hard enough for the ABS to kick in.

Also, because i had only had the truck for a couple days prior to installing the new brakes maybe thats just how the truck is as far as breaking power so i cant be sure.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Grr287
Captain

let's face it, dodge brakes and rotors suck. i just replaced my front brakes two weeks ago and they still squeal most of the time when braking. however, i could notice the difference when i had the new brakes installed. braking is better and more responsive. i think i need new rotors or something. if it feels like the ABS is about to kick in from normal braking, then there is definitely something wrong.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
donnyv
Default Is it normal?

I recently had new brakes, rotors and caliper put on too. It's been 2 weeks now and they squeak when I brake. Is this normal "break-in wear" or could there be another bad caliper that is causing this?

Thanks in advance, you guys rock!

Old 07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
dhbgl1800
Rookie

Originally Posted by MarineCorpsMP
So i recently purchased a 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 H.O. I decided to put on some new tires at midas and during that time i was informed that I need new front brake pads and roaters and (soon) i will need new brake shoes in the rear. So funds were a little low and i had 4 tires, brakes and roaters installed in the front and decided to hold off for the brake shoes in the rear.

Well, now i notice my braking is strong at first but seems to become weaker espeially if i hit the brakes very hard. But the odd thing is that the petal is not spongy but actually very very firm. So i figured my breaking would improve by having new brakes in the front but as it turns out it is actually worse.

So what could my problem be? I put on maybe 400 miles mixed city/highway driving on the new brakes and they still suck. Is it because of the rear brakes being worn and front being new? It almost feels like the ABS is kicking in but i just dont feel like I am braking hard enough for the ABS to kick in.

Also, because i had only had the truck for a couple days prior to installing the new brakes maybe thats just how the truck is as far as breaking power so i cant be sure.

1) Semper Fi!! Thanks for your service!

2) Since Midas did the work it should be guaranteed. Have them check it out.

3) I replaced my front pads, 2005 CTD 4x4, at about 50,000 miles. I tow a 14K 5th wheel at least 1/2 of those miles so I wasn't surprised.
There is a proper way to 'seat' the new pads. If this is not followed, somewhat, the pads could 'glaze' or the rotors may 'burn'. Kind of sounds like one of these may be the case. Look at the pads and rotors and see if they look OK. If not you may be able to sand off the glaze IF you feel comfortable doing that.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

When i just did my front brakes, the box that the pads came in said something along the lines of speeding up to 55mph then braking till around 10mph. It said to do this 20 or 30 times if i remember correctly. It also said there would be a burning smell at first, (which there was) and that it was just the glazing that comes on the pads from the factory and that it will wear off after the break in period.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM
donnyv

thanks

I start towing my trailer this week and didn't want any surprizes.

Quick Reply: New Front brakes... having some trouble stopping.