Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY, front brake pad replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:32 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts
Default DIY, front brake pad replacement...

DIY Brake change '03 & up 2500 4x4's (most likely 3500 as well except drw... slight differences)
Wrench time approx 90~120 minutes.

Do this proceduree at your own risk!!! I am not responsible if you screw up. Consult the manual when in doubt.

This DIY writeup is intended for reference only, you should review the shop manual. It is intended to help those
who are unsure of what they are doing, if your not confident you can do this proceedure, take it to a shop for the
repairs. If you proceed, you do it at your own risk.
While most of us have done brakes before, there are some who have not and might need some help... so here we are
and here we go...

1st off, do not touch the surface of the new pads with your hands at any time, last thing you want is grease from
your hand getting on the pad surface.

Jack up the front end (can do 1 side at a time) and support with jackstand.
Remove wheel
Name:  Brakes001a.jpg
Views: 10150
Size:  77.9 KB

Here is the rotor & caliper assembly
Name:  Brakes002a.jpg
Views: 16952
Size:  76.9 KB

Here is a pic of the Clips holding on the rotor, these will get trashed on removal
Name:  Brakes003a.jpg
Views: 9989
Size:  63.6 KB

Remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper to the caliper bracket using a 13mm socket
Name:  Brakes004a.jpg
Views: 14997
Size:  73.9 KB

Using a screwdriver, pry up on the caliper on the end shown in the pic. the other end slides out of the bracket.
when you begin prying, you will most likely get hung up on the back of the rivet holding the material to the
plate. (circled in the next pic) You will have to compress the piston some to get the caliper off the bracket &
pads. Loosen the brake master cylinder lid so brake fluid has a place to go when you compress the piston. Once
free, support with a wire coat hanger or equivelant. Do not let the caliper hang by the brake lines!!!
Name:  Brakes005a.jpg
Views: 18569
Size:  63.6 KB
Name:  Brakes006a.jpg
Views: 9896
Size:  68.3 KB

Remove the 2 mounting bolts on the caliper bracket using an 18mm socket. (and alot of umph)
Name:  Brakes007a.jpg
Views: 10221
Size:  70.6 KB
Name:  Brakes008a.jpg
Views: 9940
Size:  69.0 KB
Name:  Brakes009a.jpg
Views: 12627
Size:  76.0 KB

Remove the rotor retaining clips and remove the rotor from the hub
Name:  Brakes010a.jpg
Views: 9976
Size:  74.0 KB
Name:  Brakes011a.jpg
Views: 11667
Size:  76.1 KB

If your rotors are not warped or have any groves, you can get away with this step instead of getting the rotors turned, your option.
I have had great sucess sanding down the surfaces on good rotors. I used 150 grit paper. your objective here is
to scuff up the surface so the new pads can bed properly
Name:  Brakes012a.jpg
Views: 9875
Size:  88.7 KB
Name:  Brakes013a.jpg
Views: 9793
Size:  95.5 KB
Name:  Brakes014a.jpg
Views: 9755
Size:  81.8 KB

Once the rotor is preped, slide it on the hub backwards and clean it with BrakLeen (or equiv), then flip it around
and clean the otheside. You can use a lug nut to hold the rotor in place while cleaning & during final assembly
(unless you have new clips, install the clips to hold the rotor in place)
Name:  Brakes015a.jpg
Views: 9500
Size:  66.0 KB
Name:  Brakes016a.jpg
Views: 9897
Size:  73.1 KB

Next make sure you have plenty of room in the master cylinder for fluid. If not you may have to remove some.
Name:  Brakes017a.jpg
Views: 10004
Size:  85.7 KB

Using a brake pad & caliper piston compressing tool, push both of the pistons back into the caliper until they
bottom out.
Name:  Brakes018a.jpg
Views: 9804
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  Brakes019a.jpg
Views: 10283
Size:  71.9 KB
Name:  Brakes020a.jpg
Views: 9834
Size:  75.0 KB

Next take a rag and clean the vibration clips that are on the caliper. You will be cleaning the area's where the
pads come in contact with the clips.
Name:  Brakes021a.jpg
Views: 9668
Size:  76.1 KB
Name:  Brakes022a.jpg
Views: 9745
Size:  82.1 KB

Pop out the pins that the calipers slide on and put a light coating of grease on them and re-install them. they
are floating inside the rubber boots and will pop out easily. be careful not to tear the boots.
Name:  Brakes024a.jpg
Views: 10037
Size:  73.5 KB
Name:  Brakes023a.jpg
Views: 9895
Size:  72.2 KB
Name:  Brakes025a.jpg
Views: 9824
Size:  57.3 KB

Reinstall the caliper mounting bracket and torque bolts to 130 ft lbs (consult your manual to verify torque specs)
Next put a light coat of grease on the u shaped area on the pads, where they come in contact with the vibration
clips.
This allows the pads to slide easy and will not squeel.
Name:  Brakes026a.jpg
Views: 9879
Size:  73.1 KB

Install the pads and coat the caliper contact points to the pads with a light coat of grease, and on the piston
contact surface.
Name:  Brakes027a.jpg
Views: 11249
Size:  81.7 KB

IF YOU GET GREASE ON THE ROTOR SURFACE OR PADS, CLEAN THEM WITH THE BRAKLEEN BEFORE PROCEEDING.
YOU CANNOT HAVE ANY GREASE ON THE ROTOR FACE OR PAD FACE.

Re-install the caliper onto the bracket and install the caliper and torque bolts to 20 ft lbs (consult your manual
to verify torque specs)
Name:  Brakes028a.jpg
Views: 10116
Size:  85.7 KB

remove your lug nut and re-install the wheel. Torque wheel lug nuts to spec (consult your manual for proper
torque spec, I used 100 ft lbs)
Name:  Brakes029a.jpg
Views: 9766
Size:  75.7 KB

Use the same procedure for the other side, once completed check the fluid level in the master cylinder and top off
as needed. make sure you close the lid before moving the truck.
Name:  Brakes030a.jpg
Views: 9770
Size:  97.3 KB

Now for the fun stuff... jump in the cab and fire it up, apply the brakes a few times to push the pistons out to
the pads. 1st couple of times the pedal will go to the floor as the pistons move out to the pads. Once you have
a reasonably firm pedal, it's time to seat or bed the pads.

Beding the Pads & Rotors (taken in part from another publication off the web)

This procedure is best done in the country or on an empty road where you can not affect traffic.

From about 60 mph, gently apply the brakes to put some heat into the pads & rotors. This will bring them up to
operating temperature and will prevent you from thermally shocking the pads & rotors in the next steps.

Once the brakes are up to operating temperature, speed up to about 60 mph and stomp on the brakes hard and reduce
your speed to about 10~15 mph. Apply the brakes hard enough so that your not locking the wheels and the ABS is
not activating.

Once you reach 10~15 mph, accelerate back up to 60 and repeat 5~8 times until you feel the brakes fading. Once
they are fading your ready to cool the brakes down. Your brakes will most likely stink, this is normal.

Accelerate back up to 55~60 and drive for approx 10~15 minutes to allow the brakes to cool down. Try not to use
them as much as possible and avoid getting stuck in traffic. If you get stuck in traffic and come to a stop
before the brakes have cooled, "you will imprint pad material onto the hot rotors which can lead to vibration,
uneven braking and could even ruin the rotors"

After the 1st breakin cycle, you may need to let the brakes cool 100% and repeat the procedure to get the best
performance out of your brakes. (it's up to you).

Old 09-07-2007, 07:43 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY, front brake pad replacement...

Great write up.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 PM
handymanherb
Banned

good job Thanks I sure I will be using this in the near future

Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

not to be an ars here, but using a sander or hand grinder on rotors is not quite right. if they need to be turned, go spend the $5 ea at autozone, checker, shucks, cragen, autoshack, napa, etc and have a proper machine do it level and smooth.

this is a great write up other wise man!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: bajafun

not to be an ars here, but using a sander or hand grinder on rotors is not quite right. if they need to be turned, go spend the $5 ea at autozone, checker, shucks, cragen, autoshack, napa, etc and have a proper machine do it level and smooth.

this is a great write up other wise man!!!
well that's the thing, they didnt need to be turned. no groves and no warpage. if they did, I would have trashed them anyway and went with powerstop pads & rotors.

edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention... after bedding the brakes, it stops better than it did when I 1st got the truck with 13.8k on it. It'll be interesting to see how well it stops when the odo says 84k...

Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

Nice post Steve, and I am glad to see I am not the only one that works on the truck barefooted!
I may use your post very soon, I only have 5500 miles on the stock brakes and the SUCK! I gotta really get after the pedal to stop that thing!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Good job SteveO!! You would fit right in here in South Carolina doing a brake job barefooted . Im with ya on scuffin the rotors with sandpaper. Mine also stops as good or better than new with 110k on it.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I bet you can fix what you have... I'd take off the pads and sand the glaze off them as well as the rotors (use a 2x4 block or sanding block with 150 grit paper to keep the pads true, I dont think it takes alot of effort either), then follow the bedding procedure towards the end of the writeup. Like I mentioned before, mine stop so much better than when I got the truck... if Louie were in the back and I slammed on the brakes, he'd be doing a "Brian" (family guy... brian flies into the windshield when peter slams on the brakes)

and back to the turning of the rotors... IMO, the purpose of turning the rotors is to take out any groves & any warpage that might be in them... if there is none of either, I think it is not needed. When you turn the rotors you are shortening the life of them and opening up the possiblity to warp them easier (IMO from 25 years of messing with my rides).

Old 09-07-2007, 09:57 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for taking the time to do this, it is a great writeup! good clear pics and everything. Yep I'll be using this one too!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:21 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

glad to here the positive feedback. I try to catch everything I need to when doing the actual work.

BTW, I think I almost have Louie trained... he no longer has to shove his nose into everything I'm doing in the garage lol, today he spent the time out there laying out in the sun

Quick Reply: DIY, front brake pad replacement...