Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

slow start huge amounts of smoke very sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 AM
discostu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow start huge amounts of smoke very sluggish

well heres the deal im stumpped.. i bought the truck a couple years ago its a 01 cummins. i have edge w attitude/ superchip stack 5 inch exhaust afe stage 3 intake afe performance elbow bd diesel intercooler fass fuel pump ats triplelok torque converter.

ok the other day i was pulling my 5th wheel then i got into some serious up and down towing . just put in the torque converter. the tranny got kinda hot it was about 220 or so didnt think it was that big of a deal but i stopped at a rv park to sleep. truck didnt move found out the problem plugged tranny filter so did all that junk got messy truck moved again... new problem moved again fluid got hot again i changed it again no its staying red and pretty but, when i put the truck into gear its normal then a second or 2 it gets under load its about 25% on the monitor with the brake pedal on i take off and theres a horrendus cloudo of black smoke with a slow take off, turbo spools up and everythings normal untill i stop or slow down alot.... has anyone had this problem. im hoping its something little like a governor or something in the tranny but who knows. seems like im taking off in 3rd but im not just too much fuel at start way to much and the chips are turned down all the way superchip is there for spedo edje is for fun thanks

Quick Reply: slow start huge amounts of smoke very sluggish