Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

99 dodge diesel ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:08 AM
99DODGEDUALLY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 dodge diesel ABS Light

Recently my ABS motor started running and would not shut off until I pulled the power relay under the hood. I took it to a repair shop to be diagnosed. They said the fault codes 65 and 67 indicated that both the motor and the pump unit was bad and needed replaced to the tune of around $1,000. My problem with that is most times one or the other would go bad but usually not both at the same time. Also both the ABS light and the parking brake light came on and have stayed on ever since.
Any sugestions?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:35 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the motor and pump were serviced as a single unit.
Do you have 4 wheel or just rear ABS?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 AM
spaz_22
Captain

generally what goes bad is the electronic brake control module. There is a relay inside there that sticks and so it causes the pump to run constantly. Replace that first then see if the pump makes any abnormal noises. Most shops will want to replace both becuase of liability reasons. Most people will try to blame the shop if there motor is noisy after they installed a new part.

Be warned though that the module is very expensive. If you don't want to fix it try unpluging the module and putting the fuse back in and see if your lights go out. But this will cause your abs to not work.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:38 AM
spaz_22
Captain

rabbler may be correct. Every vehicle is different. the last vehicle that did this to me was a 2001 chevy blazer and i was able to replace just the control module, which was 1200 dollars just for the module.

Quick Reply: 99 dodge diesel ABS Light