Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission issues, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:48 PM
trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issues, please help

Hello. Just picked up an '02 2500 Cummins Turbo diesel. Truck has just turned 200,000 miles.

Sorry for this long-winded explanation of what the truck is doing, but I want to offer all information possible. I bought the truck for a great price knowing that the transmission would not shift into overdrive. However, after a tip I picked up from a transmission guy, I got the overdrive working again.....sort of! He told me that the transmissions are very sensitive to ground, and he said to check and clean the battery ground cables. I questioned his logic, but did it anyway, and sure enough, the transmission started shifting into overdrive again. But there are still some issues.

Although it now shifts into overdrive, it only seems to do it on the highway at speeds above 65MPH. The truck has 3.54 gears (according to tag on front differential), so this may be normal for this truck, but it seems as though it should be shifting into O.D. when on roads that I travel at 55-60 MPH. The engine is spinning at about 2500 RPM or so on these roads, and it sure seems like it should be upshifting in these situations. Also, the trans hesitates to shift in all gears. I'm told that this is a simple cable adjustment. When it finally shifts, it seems to shift very well. Any help/info appreciated.

Also, I am aware that Dodge has had transmission problems, as I know several people who owned Dodge vehicles that had band transmissions. I also had a company van that dropped a tranny at less than 1,000 miles. That being said, I'm not sure of the cause of these problems, or if it has been addressed and fixed. Some people have told me that there was an updated transmission in '02 and that it should be fine. Others have said that the torque converters are the source of the problems. Any and all info about my problem in particualr, and the history of Dodge transmission problems in general is GREATLY appreciated!

Quick Reply: Transmission issues, please help