Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What is done to your Cummins Turbo Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
03 dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No heavymods but enough, to hold my own.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by Coal Train
Your turbo is a bit of a muffling device. A little, but not much.

The biggest reason the old engines were so much louder was the cylinder pressure and timing.

The old 12V's only had 1 injection event per cycle and this made the cylinder pressures spike which causes the "diesel rattle"

The newer engine have the pilot and post injection events that prevent that spike and subsequently lower the engine noise.

A straight piped 12 valve will set off car alarms. A straight piped 6.7 is still pretty quiet, the loudest thing you hear is the turbo.
HA HA I love to set off car alarms

Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by 03 dodge
No heavymods but enough, to hold my own.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I am too work on Taylor forklifts and Kalmar/Ottawa spotting tractors

Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
pizzo
All Star

NOW I have upgraded
I got front windows tinted I finally found a shop with light enough tint.
Getting HID Lights Friday.
Changed the 90w in the Axles to Synthetic IT WAS FREE don't hate
changed the motor oil to 15W40 royal purple syn and got me a WIX oil filter and new fuel filter (yesterday) when it was clogged and wouldn't go over 2000 rpm
Thursday new brakes any have any thoughts about them ceramic ones that are to much money is that a waist of time or just get a nice set for the money?
Future mods
Gauges or some type of monitor
Fuel rail pressure gauge or monitor
new radio with TV, DVD, Ipod, rear camera hook up, head rest TVs, New door speakers hooked up to a Memphis amp, and new tweeters mounted on the posts. no subs cause I use the space under the rear seats for all my Reese interlock hitches pintal hook and straps and what ever else the kids drop under the seats candy bars, suckers, juice boxes, and the occasional French fri lol

Last edited by pizzo; 09-01-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 09-02-2009, 07:29 AM
srountreeoo7
Professional

Pizzo Sounds like you are getting a lot done. What tint did you go with? Please post pics of your stereo setup. I've been looking into getting another one myself. Also Are you changing the brakes all the way around or just the fronts. I changed my fronts at 50k and still have half the pad left. I will be changing my rears sometime this month.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:34 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Pizzo, how do you like the RP 15w-40? I'd considered going to that myself, currently running the amsoil and like it. I run the RP in the Audi TT and love it.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
Pizzo, how do you like the RP 15w-40? I'd considered going to that myself, currently running the amsoil and like it. I run the RP in the Audi TT and love it.
stay with amsoil in your diesel and RP in your audi TT
Oil pressure is lower below 40psi at idle hot. NEVER WAS LOWER THEN 40PSI
I know that its hot and idle is 25psi is ok some engines are allowed 15psi
but when i put the RP in its below 40 I wanted to hit everyone up see what they think and let everyone know I am changing it tomorrow to AMSOIL

Old 09-04-2009, 12:09 AM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by srountreeoo7
Pizzo Sounds like you are getting a lot done. What tint did you go with? Please post pics of your stereo setup. I've been looking into getting another one myself. Also Are you changing the brakes all the way around or just the fronts. I changed my fronts at 50k and still have half the pad left. I will be changing my rears sometime this month.
I went with 35% or 5% I am not sure what is lighter I think its 35% is lightest and 5% is dark. I went the lightest I could chicago is big on tickets for tints.
the stereo is a kenwood KVT-614 that's what I want to get with everything but subs. i want headrest TV dvd for the kids and wife although I haven't bought it yet thats what I'll be buying next friday
The reason I am changing the brakes I do haul boats some don't weigh that mush some do. I was Hauling a 17,000 lbs boat last Saturday and my trailer brakes wasn't working correctly. But I did the most stupid thing and kept driving without trailer brakes and just about smoked my truck brakes. Even though it was at 45-55 mph on expressway mostly after 219miles I figured that they was gone and I was correct. not much left good thing they wasnt grinding but the rotors are blued from heat so I junked them too just got me regular brake pads from O'reilly's and wagner rotors.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzo
stay with amsoil in your diesel and RP in your audi TT
Oil pressure is lower below 40psi at idle hot. NEVER WAS LOWER THEN 40PSI
I know that its hot and idle is 25psi is ok some engines are allowed 15psi
but when i put the RP in its below 40 I wanted to hit everyone up see what they think and let everyone know I am changing it tomorrow to AMSOIL

my pressure is always below 40 at idle, running the amsoil for about 90k now. I would think that the pressure drop is due to the oil flowing better, less resistance. think about it for a second, if you try to push a heavier fluid thru a pipe, the pressure will go up, push a lighter fluid and it should flow more but the pressure should go down as there is less resistance to flowing the same volume.

the thing that sold me on the RP in the audi was that after 3k with the mobil 1 that I was using, the tone of the motor changed a tad bit and it did not seem to run as smooth. switched to the RP and at the 5k oil change point, the motor was running as smooth as when I put it in. With the diesels, I doubt i'd ever be able to detect anything like that with the amount of vibration that it has.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Fisherguy

Here's what's done in the order I did them (more or less)

- Raider cap with custom boat rack and Eide boat loader
- Dipricol FP, boost, pyrom in the pillar
- S&B CAI
- 40 Nelson muffler
- BDTD with CL
- Pac Brake PRXB
- 4-150 watt KC's on Randy Ellis light bar
- Pac Brake air bags
- AirLift wireless controller wirelss controller
- Tekonsha P3
- AirDog 100 with modded Liberty canister liberty mod
- SB OFE clutch, flywheel and upgraded hydros
- leveled with Revteck spacers and Bilstein 5100's
- 35" Vortracs on chrome H2's machining H2's
- Quad X2
- BD steering brace
- ATS flares 2 toned to match with 3M clear stuff underneath to protect the paint (in the works, tires stick out too much)

Last edited by Fisherguy; 09-04-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: What is done to your Cummins Turbo Diesel