Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

98 Dodge Turbo Hose Blows Off!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:02 PM
firebiz16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 98 Dodge Turbo Hose Blows Off!!

The last few times I've made mountain trips with my camper, the short connector hose on the turbo blows off when I start up a mountain. It sounds like a tire blows and heavy black smoke pours out of the exhaust. Of course I lose all power. I'll stop, wipe off the oily residue, put the hose back on and tighten the clamps. This past weekend it did it 5 times within about 3 miles. After all the cussing and kickin, I said screw it and finished the last 20 miles of the trip with the hose partially off. I got a replacement hose and two new clamps and replaced it. It did'nt do it on the home, but I was going down the mountain this time.

Any ideas what might cause this hose to blow off like this???

I currently have the superchip programmer on it with it set to "tow safe". I don't have guages yet either.

Tthanks
Chris

Old 09-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by firebiz16
......wipe off the oily residue
Oily residue?.....

That think should be bone dry inside.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:09 PM
firebiz16

Yes, it is oily. I wiped black out of the hose when it came off.. What could this mean?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Coal Train
All Star

More than likely that means the seals are leaking in the turbo and it needs a rebuild.

Pull the intake tube off the turbo and grab the shaft and see if you get an excessive play back and forth or side to side.

Don't worry, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to rebuild as long as there hasn't been an contact between the housing and the compressor or turbine wheels.

A basic rebuild kit only runs about $80 - $90

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Turbo Hose Blows Off!!