Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Head gasket leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 PM
jsader79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Head gasket leaking

IF ITS NOT ONE THING ITS ANOTHER!!!! My 2001 has sprung a LEAK!!!! The head gasket has began leaking at the right front corner of the engine. It is a VERY small leak. I have to add water like maybe every two weeks, but I have to add water and I dont want to... My question is does anyone know how difficult it is to change the gasket and if it can be done buy the DIY mechanic? Do i need any special tools or should I just take it in and get it done? Any suggestions????

Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 PM
pizzo
All Star

dont know have never done one myself guys at the shop do them takes them 3 days or so. mind they are union and the 5 guys that do them they are all in the upper 60's
I have looked at it before. Thought that if my truck needed head work i would pull the engine out of truck and fix on engine stand though be able to get to everything. but that is not in everyone's case

Old 09-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Coal Train
All Star

It's not that hard at all, just a bit time consuming.

You will need a cherry picker, or a few buddies though. The head weighs 137 lbs and it's a bit awkward to try and get it yourself.

If you're remotely mechanically inclined, you can replace the head gasket yourself.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:24 PM
12valveman
Professional

it is easy to do can do them rather quickly first one too bout 4 hours now can do in under 2 just make sure u have torque wrench and something to clean block n head with suggest straight edge to check for straightness also like Coal said u do need buddies or a cherry picker due to it being awkward to get under cowl Note rear push rods and bolts go through cowling there are rubber plugs under cowl on engine side to allow them to escape engine compartment . any other ? post on here someone can answer

Quick Reply: Head gasket leaking