Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Truck doing weird things....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 PM
burntcookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck doing weird things....

Hi, how is everyone today? I have an 02 CTD 2500 4X4 extra cab long box. I have had the tranny re-built last spring and I just installed a superchip flash pack yesterday - other than that she is bone-stock (except for the 265/75/16 tires). And I use her for work, I regularly pull 14,000 pds on a daily basis, and in the winter I plow snow. I always tow with the OD turned off, and the guy who rebuilt the tranny knows what I do and still gave me 6 months warrenty on the tranny.
Now the problem - b4 the flash pack was installed, the truck seemed to "gag" under load and when she was empty. She seemed to be stuck in too low a gear for the speed/rpm's.
Now she "burbs" under load. It feels like the fuel turns off for a second and kicks right back like nothing happened. When it happened b4 the Superchip, I had to let off the go pedal 1-3 times to get her to "pick-up".
Our mechanic at work had her out for me, it doesn't do it when the tranny is left in 1st for a short/slow drive, and she wont if you run the rpm's up in park.
There isn't any codes showing....fuel filters are changed regularly.....
I am trying to figure out if I am forgetting something - Does it sound like the fuel pump?? Any help would be appreciated - even a point in the right direction

Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 AM
srountreeoo7
Professional

It sounds like it be the lift pump do you have fuel pressure guages?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Coal Train
All Star

My first guess would be the APPS.

Usually if you get a slight lag in throttle response, the first thing you want to check is the APPS.

Use a volt meter and check the voltage at the sensor all the way through the pedal range of movement.

If you get a spot where it hangs or there is no change, then the APPS needs to be replaced.

Remember, check the cheap stuff first before diving into a $1000+ pump.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:48 PM
sanford35_5.9
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd agree to check the APPS first, if not you can check the lift pump fuel volume. But the valve body can also cause a problem real similar to what your seeing and I think the only way to check it is by using the DRB 2 which is not avalible to the average person.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:46 PM
burntcookie

hmmmm - apps sensor was replaced last spring and so was to lift pump. Sanford - the valve body in which you speak, is that in the tranny? And thank you for the responses....

Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Coal Train
All Star

More than likely, if it's not the APPS or the pump, the valve body itself won't be the problem, but rather the governor solenoid or governor solenoid pressure sensor.

Either of these two parts can reek havoc on the 1 - 3 shift points.

holding gears too long, hard shifts, shuffling......all symptoms of a one of those two items going south.

They are located on the valve body, but DO NOT require removing it to swap them out.

The only way to know for sure though is to use the DRBIII and see the pressures at the shifts.

1 - 2 you should see approx 23 - 28 psi.
2 - 3 you should see approx 55 - 62 psi.
3 - 4 you should see approx 95 psi.
4 - TC lock you should see 95 - 128 psi based on throttle input.

If you don't see those numbers, more than likely the gov solenoid or pressure sensor is shot. Not an uncommon problem.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:03 AM
sanford35_5.9
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct it is the gov. sensors that cause the problem, but from what I have found from working in the Dodge dealer you can change the gov. sensors and have problems with the valve body down the road unless you aready have an updated Valve body. Some where down the line Mopar updated the valve body and the gov. sensors, so if you still have the original valve body and you replace the sensors with the updated ones you can run into a problem down the road.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
burntcookie

Last edited by burntcookie; 02-09-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: posted in wrong place
Old 02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
burntcookie

I have a snap on scanner with me in the truck now - I will print those #'s Coal Train, and thank you Sir. The other tranny guy looked at what is going on and he thinks what the other guy did should work, lol.
He bypassed the heater cooler up by the head and there is a very large aux cooler. Temps hit 238 F while doing a short driveway, 200-220 just driving with the plow on and a ton (200pds) of salt.
Thanks for the input gentlemen!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
burntcookie

Coal Train - if something is wrong with the governor soleniod, would that be a constant issue or would it happen when everything is warm?
The "binding" feeling is sporadic, but the heat issue seems to happen with the plow on. Now I know the easy thing to do is to remove the plow, lol - but I have 4 commercial lots to plow and I ain't going at them with a shovel, lol

Quick Reply: Truck doing weird things....