Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

04 CTD won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
sanford35_5.9
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When that year of truck was new a few came in that tossed the belt and took out the wire harness. If it did do that and some hack just fixed the wiring harness you can run into those same problems. I'd go over the wire harness on the front of the engine and make sure there isn't any hacked up wires. The belts really liked wrapping around the fan and crank pulley, when they did it could have cracked or takin out the harness and sensors.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:43 AM
pizzo
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coal Train
Pizzo, the 03 & 04 still had the mechanical clutches, but the 04.5+ trucks have a viscous clutch that is controlled by the ECM.

That's why it's a small issue trying to put an electric fan in an 04.5+ Common Rail.

It sets 2 soft codes because the ECM doesn't see the fan engagement or RPM anymore.

It doesn't light the CEL, but it does set 2 soft codes on the ECM.
so i have that stupid clutch that is going to cost a lot of money to fix if it gets trashed. not really It don't cost that much for me at Cummins I'm So glad my work is a Cummins Dealer. I get parts for cost lol

Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Coal Train
All Star

It's usually not the clutch itself that goes out, it's usually the wiring harness gets cut by the fan somehow.

Either guys forget to put the retaining bolt back to secure the harness at the bottom of the fan shroud or it gets caught on something an rips the harness out.

Either way, it mean buying a new fan clutch, because it's hardwired to the clutch.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:12 PM
meanmim

Hi guys, its' been a while and I am still having the same problem. The truck has a FASS system and I put new filters on, Checked and there is plenty of fuel. The truck runs like new and then it will just cut out and die. No backfire, white smoke or hesitation it is like you just turned the ignition off> I took it to a local garage and he couldn't get it to repeat the symptoms. Finally it quit on him and he suspected the computer on the side of the block. He replaced it and the same symptoms are back. The truck also has an edge system w/attitude which seems to operate OK. Any suggestions on where to look next?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM
meanmim
Smile 04 cdt dies and won't start

Finally found the problem. We replaced the fuel pressure relief valve, and it quit the next day. The truck quit again the next day. Then took the Edge juice w/attitude off put the old relief valve on and it died again. Then put the new valve back in and has been trouble free for two months now. The edge people said they could not repair the system but would give me a new upgrade for half price. That should be installed today. I will let u know the results...................THANKS for all the help.

Quick Reply: 04 CTD won't start