Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

04 CTD won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:31 PM
meanmim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 04 CTD won't start

I have a 04 CTD that would die on me. I had to get to the side of the road and hold the throttle to the floor to try to re-start. The vehicle would fire for about three secs. then quit. After many attempts it finally started and ran fine. The dealer could not find anything. This has happened numerous times and I was always able to get it startsd. Now I went out today and it won't start. I turn the key off, hold the pedal to the floor then try and it runs for three secs. and dies. Same outcome after many atempts. I found two codes 0191, 0483. These were no help

Old 09-28-2009, 10:36 PM
pizzo
All Star

their is a section dodge diesel I'll have someone move this for you So Us diesel guys read it.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:40 PM
meanmim

Originally Posted by pizzo
their is a section dodge diesel I'll have someone move this for you So Us diesel guys read it.
Thanx

Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 PM
pizzo
All Star

code 0191 ruff idle
0483 fan clutch speed

rail pressure, cam or crank signal was a little off for the ruff idle code witch may be the problem the crank position sensor check the wiring to it and the connections at the computer CPS is drivers side by the harmonic balencer
do you have a way to check rail pressure. DO NOT TAKE OFF ANY FUEL LINES OR PUSH ANY TEST PORTS TO SEE IF YOU HAVE PRESSURE WITH KEY ON OR ENGINE RUNNING that's dangerous!!!
have you ever tossed a belt? if so may have cracked that sensor and not even known it till now

Old 09-29-2009, 05:34 PM
meanmim

Not sure about the belt, I bought it used w/71,000 miles. Found crank sensor and other wire looms. I jostled connections and it started. Started it a few more times. time will tell if it is fixed. Thanks Pizzo

Old 09-29-2009, 09:53 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by meanmim
Not sure about the belt, I bought it used w/71,000 miles. Found crank sensor and other wire looms. I jostled connections and it started. Started it a few more times. time will tell if it is fixed. Thanks Pizzo
sounds like you have something going on with that wire harness if i am mistaken the fan and cp sensor is ran in the same loom to the computer. Someday you may have to take all the plastic cover off it and really check them wires and plugs

Old 09-30-2009, 05:28 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Pizzo is on the right track, but there is a little more on that wire harness and there are some known problems with it.

Obviously, you checked the crank sensor. Pull it off, put some dielecectric grease on it and reconnect. When it's running, is your tach working? If the tach is working, the crank sensor probably isn't the issue.

Check that fan clutch harness for any breaks or exposed wires. Same thing with that connector, clean and put a little dielectric grease on it and re-connect.

Also check the cam sensor. It' located behind the CP3, near the top corner of the PCM. This will tend to give you the rough idle / no start condition more so than the crank sensor.

The cam and crank sensor are the same part number and can be swapped around. IF you suspect either of those, simply (well, sorta...it's a tight squeeze) swap those two and see what happens to the condition. If you swap then and not you get a weird tach signal, but the idle smoothes out, you know it was the cam sensor.

Also, check the harness on the other side that has the alternator, A/C pressure sensor and wastegate solenoid. The plug that goes to the A/C pressure sensor has a tendency to rub through and short. This harness is on the same circuit as your injectors and if it shorts, you can ge the rough idle and often times excess smoke.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:00 PM
12valveman
Professional

guys are on right track check wiring going under pump to crank sensor and wiring to fan already said that 191 was rail pressure code meaning NO fuel , does this still have the lift pump mounted to the filter housing? if it does get rid of it put what you want on it it still under warranty pay the deduct and have it retrofited to tank have honestly had good luck with those. i would guess that is why that code set especially if the filter mounted pump still on there. if not have other issues with fuel delivery that usually only reason p0191 will set. the p0483 usually sets due to connector issue by fan shroud or broken wires have replaced a few fan clutches tho for same concern let me know what you find thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 01:34 AM
pizzo
All Star

that was a shot in the dark with the fan and crank wires in the same loom. I don't that fan sensor in the 5.9 bt that I work on our fans are direct no clutch. I kinda guessed at that one. lol
Yes it does have a lift pump on the filter housing. I wish i can find my wiring prints on Cummins ISB engines. I can't find them anywhere.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Pizzo, the 03 & 04 still had the mechanical clutches, but the 04.5+ trucks have a viscous clutch that is controlled by the ECM.

That's why it's a small issue trying to put an electric fan in an 04.5+ Common Rail.

It sets 2 soft codes because the ECM doesn't see the fan engagement or RPM anymore.

It doesn't light the CEL, but it does set 2 soft codes on the ECM.

Quick Reply: 04 CTD won't start