Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

If its not one thing its another - Horn stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If its not one thing its another - Horn stuck

My horn stuck (i didnt even blow the horn when it happened) so i had to pull the fuse. i'm pretty sure its the actual horn switch underneath the airbag. I know nothing about airbags and was wondering what would be the best (or only) approach to pulling parts off the steering wheel and replacing this.

it holds true that the truck will fall apart around the motor before the motor dies lol

Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 PM
racer9
Veteran

This is actually a fairly common problem on the newer trucks, haven't heard about older trucks doing it. I'm rather nervous about fooling with the airbag, might be better to pay someone to do it.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 PM
miknwv
Veteran

i think you're right...i aint touchin' it lol

Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM
pizzo
All Star

I am scared of them too but its not that hard under the steering column is a yellow connector unplug that then take the air bag unit off steering wheel. if you get a chiltons or haynes book it shows you in their. but once you unplug the unit at the bottom of the column. You will have to unscrew the kick panel to get to that plug. the bag can't go off. to set them off you have to have 12v power and ground in that plug. Just get a book I do think they tell you all you need to know. and for 24.99 its worth it. I really hate taking them bags off. they hurt when they pop but that was from a accident. Also might be a good idea to disconnect the battery (ies)

Old 10-18-2009, 03:08 AM
miknwv
Veteran

I was on a fire dept a few years ago and our asst. chief worked for toyota so he'd take either defective or replaced airbags and bring them to drill and teach the rest of us the dangers of airbag deployment after a crash..... those SOBs are tough. I seen one go off on a training video in the middle of an extrication and two firefighters were injured, one had a lacerated spleen and tons of other internal injuries.

Quick Reply: If its not one thing its another - Horn stuck