Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Question about Thermocouple Wire Length

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM
bataradena
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Thermocouple Wire Length

I have a question about Thermocouple Wire Length to connect a EGT from the engine exhaust to a windshield visor pod. I’m working with Geno’s Garage for a set of EV2 gauges and was told the wire length for the TC is 10 feet. Not sure if this long enough. Any comments would be helpful before I pull the tiger on this order.
Byron T

Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by bataradena
I have a question about Thermocouple Wire Length to connect a EGT from the engine exhaust to a windshield visor pod. I’m working with Geno’s Garage for a set of EV2 gauges and was told the wire length for the TC is 10 feet. Not sure if this long enough. Any comments would be helpful before I pull the tiger on this order.
Byron T
not sure give it a few days so people can see it I have not seen where they offer a longer TC wire. But since you are putting it on the visor run the wires in on the passenger side it don't have to go all the way to the other side then up the A pillar post. just run it up the passenger side A pillar if it was my truck i would do that and it will give you enough wire to do so

Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM
bataradena

Originally Posted by pizzo
not sure give it a few days so people can see it I have not seen where they offer a longer TC wire. But since you are putting it on the visor run the wires in on the passenger side it don't have to go all the way to the other side then up the A pillar post. just run it up the passenger side A pillar if it was my truck i would do that and it will give you enough wire to do so
Thanks
Byron

Old 10-15-2009, 08:26 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

My pyro probe is post turbo and my gauge is over the rear view mirror. I used a 12ft lead wire.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:06 AM
lesimon
Professional

I installed my thermal couple going up the drivers side pillar and it is definately 3-4 short of the review mirror, luckily I had one gauge mount on the drivers pillars so I placed the pyro there. I would do what another member suggested run the Thermal couple wire up the passengers pillar and you will definately have enough wire.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Coal Train
All Star

If you are going overhead, get the 12' lead wire.

If it's on the pillar or a dash pod, you can do the 7' or 8' leads.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:05 AM
bataradena

Originally Posted by NickBeek
My pyro probe is post turbo and my gauge is over the rear view mirror. I used a 12ft lead wire.
Did you route the wires from the driver side or the passenger side pillar?
Byron

Old 10-17-2009, 03:51 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I went across the engine compartment and up the driver side pillar. I didn't even check to see if there was a place to come through the fire wall on the passenger side. I kinda feel dum now that you mention it.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:15 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by NickBeek
I went across the engine compartment and up the driver side pillar. I didn't even check to see if there was a place to come through the fire wall on the passenger side. I kinda feel dum now that you mention it.
actually I feel dumb for even mentioning it. Cause the heater core box is most likely in the way. Witch you may not have any room to get anything by it. I was thinking of running a pyro on the visor mount. I thought that i would just run the wires up passenger post and look for hole on passenger side of car to make room for other gauges on the drivers side with wires and what ever else has to be there.
Sorry guys that really was a bad post on my part. You can look and see if their is a way to get in on passengers side but i doubt it

Old 10-18-2009, 11:24 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

It's all good.

Quick Reply: Question about Thermocouple Wire Length