Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

big head wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 AM
a55bag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big head wastegate

I have a 2002 ctd 4x4 automatic banks big hoss tuner and high ram. I have been searching for info on the big head and cant seem to find any so I stopped in here. I have a hard line leading from the turbo to the wastegate and I cant see how to get it off with out cutting it. I have read about the edge boost elbow but i cant seem to find anything for that year. The big head came off a 99 ctd and banks said it should work but I dont want to cut that hard line without some advice.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Coal Train
All Star

That line should just pull off. I may be a little hard, but it will come off.

It has a clip on either end and with a little wrangling you should be able to get it off.

It may be pretty well stuck to the nipples, so yes, you may have to cut it, but you can get a section of hose right ar NAPA.

Just make sure you get silicone hose to deal with the heat in that area. Rubber will break down too fast.

And, this is what you're looking for in that adjsutable boodt elbow.

Let me know if ya need help with one.

Last edited by Coal Train; 11-02-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 AM
a55bag

the 99 that I had pulled the big head off of had a soft line. this one is actually a metal hard line and I cant really tell if there is a threaded fitting where the boost elbow would go or not.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Coal Train
All Star

A metal hard line? Is it copper, like it was used for drive pressure?

Did you buy this truck used?

Get me a picture of it if you can?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
a55bag

I will try and snap a picture of it tonight if I can. The truck is actually my buddies I am helping him work on, hes computer illerate. The truck was bought used with everything done to it already. We had started to put on the a pillar gauges and noticed that it had a big hoss installed. That was a nice suprise but we noticed it didnt have any power running to it. Its also had some transmisson work done to it as well. I have read a little bit about being a different line for a automatic compared to a manual transmission. The turbo is fairly loud compared to other dodges I have came across but it does have the silencer ring removed and its not exactly impressive to drive so I woudlnt imagine it has had turbo work done. Thanks for you help coal train.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by a55bag
I will try and snap a picture of it tonight if I can. The truck is actually my buddies I am helping him work on, hes computer illerate. The truck was bought used with everything done to it already. We had started to put on the a pillar gauges and noticed that it had a big hoss installed. That was a nice suprise but we noticed it didnt have any power running to it. Its also had some transmisson work done to it as well. I have read a little bit about being a different line for a automatic compared to a manual transmission. The turbo is fairly loud compared to other dodges I have came across but it does have the silencer ring removed and its not exactly impressive to drive so I woudlnt imagine it has had turbo work done. Thanks for you help coal train.
silencer ring removed do you want it if so PM me your address and you can have mine with the snap ring too

Old 11-02-2009, 11:43 PM
a55bag

nah he doesnt want it but we are keeping everything so it can go back to stock if need be for the new California smog bull$h!*

Old 11-03-2009, 06:21 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to raise boost on that turbo, this is the way to to do it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bully...ehicleQ5fParts dont waste yoru money on that banks crap, its worthless. and no need to worrie about CA smog BS at least not for a whille

Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 AM
a55bag

Im not having any luck as far as getting a damn picture of it. I did get the big head manual from banks and the diagram they have for the wastegate has it sitting 90 degrees from where it is now. I am going to be at this diesel thing on saturday here in yuba city that left coast is putting on. If you are coming I will have the truck with us there.

edit: all that banks stuff was on the truck or came with it so its just a matter of putting it on.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:48 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never saw your location... LOL me and a couple friends are the ones putting on the show in yuba city!!!

Quick Reply: big head wastegate