Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 AM
white fury
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!

Ok I'm from S. Texas and I will be working in N.E. Pennsylvania for the winter. I need advice on getting snow tires...Studded....Chains etc.. I have an 07 Quad Cab Dually 2WD. I was wondering should I carry some weight in the bed. I am new to the whole Ice and Snow deal. I am asking for Help... I have the plug for the block heater, should I go ahead and get it installed on the heater??

Thanks for any help.
Randy

Old 11-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Grr287
Captain

im not sure how the newer CTDs are, but my boss said it was almost impossible to drive his 01 CTD without 4wd in the snow. the engines are so heavy, you will definitely need to put weight in the bed, since it is 2wd. i could be wrong though, hopefully some of the more experienced drivers will chime in.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:08 AM
srountreeoo7
Professional

I would go ahead and install the heater cord. You might want to get some Power service in the white bottle to help keep the fuel from gelling too.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Check the local laws before you do studs.

Many areas don't allow them because of the damage they do to the roads.

My advice is get a bunch of sand bags, at least 500 lbs, preferably 1000 lbs and put them right over the rear wheels.

Some folks like to use steel plate, cinder blocks, other assorted crap, but the problem is they become projectiles if you wreck. At least the sand bags will dissintegrate for the most part.

There is a down side to weighing down the back of the truck though.......

If you do start to slide, it's that much worse with all the weight. it acts like a pendulum.

Really though, the road crew ups there are really good at keeping the roads clear. You don't NEED 4WD to get around. It helps, but it's not NECESSARY.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:55 PM
racer9
Veteran

Originally Posted by Coal Train
Check the local laws before you do studs.

Many areas don't allow them because of the damage they do to the roads.

My advice is get a bunch of sand bags, at least 500 lbs, preferably 1000 lbs and put them right over the rear wheels.

Some folks like to use steel plate, cinder blocks, other assorted crap, but the problem is they become projectiles if you wreck. At least the sand bags will dissintegrate for the most part.

There is a down side to weighing down the back of the truck though.......

If you do start to slide, it's that much worse with all the weight. it acts like a pendulum.

Really though, the road crew ups there are really good at keeping the roads clear. You don't NEED 4WD to get around. It helps, but it's not NECESSARY.
Get the heater cord installed, it will give you easier starts, and heat sooner.
Use an anti-gel fuel additive, PowerService (white jug), Howes, Lucas, FPPF. NO DRY GAS.
I agree with everything above but the part about the road crews.
Get a good set of tires, you need to be able to stop and steer as well as go.
Cooper Discoverer's are pretty good in the snow.
Sand bags will hit hard in an accident, better to line the floor, rather than have them in one place in a pile. They can't slide that way, and you can put other stuff on top them if you need to haul anything.
SLOW DOWN in the bad weather, keep a safe following distance, and look well ahead of where you are driving. You won't be able to stop nearly as good, and need to be prepared.
Stay away from other vehicles, keep a safe distance. That way you won't get into someone elses wreck. Good luck.

Last edited by racer9; 11-06-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 PM
white fury
Rookie

Thanks for all the advice. I will be using common sense and driving slow as well. I will be studding the tires as it is allowable here until April. Will see how it goes..