Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New to CTDs and loving it.. but looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 PM
gcollins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to CTDs and loving it.. but looking for advice

I recently bought an 05 QC 2500 CTD and I absolutely love it. My new theory is all trucks should be Dodge and all Dodges should be a CTD. That said, I would like to hear from the more experienced.

I have read Coal Train's thoughts from his website. Thanks! Very good info.

Regarding the exhaust... I would like to open the exhaust but I don't want to increase the noise level.. if possible. My truck is a daily driver with occasional towing. Since the family rides in it and I take it on multi-hour trips, I would like to keep the noise as close to factory as possible but with more flow. Recommendations?

Also, I would like to hear thoughts on tuners. The Edge Juice w/adrenaline caught my attention. I like getting the gauges and real-time adjustments. I have no clue though.

Speak to me!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:51 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as keeping the noise level the same as stock... really isnt going to happen, but a good freeflowing muffler, such as magnaflow, the bigger, the quiter, are not to bad for noise, and also, the smarty CR is my favorite programmer

Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 AM
2005RAM2500
Rookie

I just put a muffler delete pipe on, and it's not much louder at all. Mine is also a daily driver.

As, for programmer i like the Bully Dog GT, with EGT probe.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by gcollins
I have read Coal Train's thoughts from his website. Thanks! Very good info.
Let me know if there is anything you need help with.

My personal opinion, if noise is a concern, keep the cat in place and use a Magnaflow Direct-Fit muffler. It'll give you a little more growl, but it'll get rid of the biggest restriction in the exhaust, that monstrosity of a muffler.

As for the tuning, NO POWER MODS WITHOUT GAUGES!

With that said, for a daily driver and a need for gauges, I recommend this route.

Either, A - an Edge Juice with Attitude monitor or, B - A Smarty Jr with an Edge Insight monitor or a set of stand alone analog gauges.

Personally, I would go with the Smarty Jr and Insight, unless you need the cool down function that the Juice with Attitude has.

Last edited by Coal Train; 11-07-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:01 PM
pizzo
All Star

I have a 04.5 we have the same engines. FYI if you take the muffler off leave the resonator on its a little louder. If you buy a 5 inch exhaust system straight pipe like have its really loud. I see people sitting next to me at a stop light they roll up the windows with the exhaust right in their ear. lol If I was you I wouldn't change the hole system just change out the muffler to what every else recommends. I use it as a daily driver with towing wife and kids don't mind the noise just everyone else does.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:25 PM
gcollins

Thanks all! I am going to look into the magnaflow.

Coal Train, I should have noted it before but gauges will be my first purchase.

Great forum!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:44 AM
RamQuadHD

[QUOTE=pizzo;1868340]I have a 04.5 we have the same engines. FYI if you take the muffler off leave the resonator on its a little louder. If you buy a 5 inch exhaust system straight pipe like have its really loud. I see people sitting next to me at a stop light they roll up the windows with the exhaust right in their ear. lol If I was you I wouldn't change the hole system just change out the muffler to what every else recommends. I use it as a daily driver with towing wife and kids don't mind the noise just everyone else does.[/Q

What type of pipe, aluminum or SS? Did you do it in Chitown?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 PM
pizzo
All Star

[quote=RamQuadHD;1879952]
Originally Posted by pizzo
I have a 04.5 we have the same engines. FYI if you take the muffler off leave the resonator on its a little louder. If you buy a 5 inch exhaust system straight pipe like have its really loud. I see people sitting next to me at a stop light they roll up the windows with the exhaust right in their ear. lol If I was you I wouldn't change the hole system just change out the muffler to what every else recommends. I use it as a daily driver with towing wife and kids don't mind the noise just everyone else does.[/Q

What type of pipe, aluminum or SS? Did you do it in Chitown?
its AU with a SS tip. And yes I did do it in Chitown I live on the Southeast side

Quick Reply: New to CTDs and loving it.. but looking for advice