Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

02 2500 intermittent starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
cerobit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 2500 intermittent starting

Just returned from the dealer. Had them see what they could find. "no codes" and "starting fine", leave it with us and we'll drive it home and hope it fails.

-rant- Yah, I could do that and save the $90 plus hours of my time. Pay em the jack, they'll have my truck right out. 30 mins later the new service writer is absently mindedly walking out the door, sees me and quicksteps, thinking I didn't see him. 3 mins later my truck is delivered w/o him saying a darned thing. Dude, just admit you forgot, oK? Oh yeah, You forgot the new dipstick I Ok'd too.-end rant-

Anyway, we had hard cold starting a couple weeks ago in 40F weather (Central Florida). Engine was turning over, but I guess a bit slower than normal. My tech was trying to start, as I was listening and guiding vial phone. Had the dealer there replace the batts ( I knew they were going, but didn't think weak batts would cause the air heater to not work?). Hard cold starting (Engine turning over fine) on 2 occasions since then, once about 50F and once about 75F. Took 10 mins or so to get running, and then some idle speed fluctuation noted. All other starts have been fine and no other symptoms.

Normally, engine fires in second or two max. 168,000 miles, had VP44 and lift pump changed at 60000 miles & TPS? replaced about 10000 miles ago, with requisite wiring ends replaced and cleaned. Had a bit a fuel leaking around an injector, but I think that was tightened during the TPS replacement, but not sure.

Again, no codes thrown. I'm not sure where to go from here except to look at electrical connections at air heater, etc.

Ideas?

Last edited by cerobit; 11-10-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 AM
cerobit

Gong to check the fuel heater this AM. Both hard starting events were after the temps got cool at night. Also will check the intake air heater.

Have to go buy another multimeter, as my POS chinese radio shack meter died. grrr.

Also, I'll have the tech start running fuel additives. I always ran lucas fuel additive, but he doesn't seem to keep up the regimen.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM
cerobit

Couldn't find the Air Temperature/
Pressure Sensor on the air filter cover. Looked around but couldn't find it. Any hints?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 AM
cerobit

Well, the truck wouldn't start this am, and we threw 2 codes finally: P1693 - either: (DTC Detected in companion JTEC Mod) or Turbo Charge Control Circuit Malfunction & P0380 - Grid heater relay is dissconnected or failed.

re: the P0380, I'm thinking i check grounds everywhere, and maybe just replace the heater relays.

re: the P1693, not sure. If it's DTC, could that be pointing the the grid heater? thoughts?

Last edited by cerobit; 11-17-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 PM
pizzo
All Star

as my POS chinese radio shack meter died. grrr keep that off your truck it may fry your computer. testing sensors some computers don't like them.
first check the POSITIVE side on the grid heater to see if its getting power then if it is check the ground on the other side of the grid heater see if its getting ground then if everything is good and power and ground is their
possibly grid heater is bad.
Although it should start with out it since you live in FL and its warmer their then it is here.

Just make sure the grounds are ok first take some time to locate them I can't tell you where they are other then on batteries, drivers side inner fender, if their is any more i have know idea with your year of truck.

Are you getting fuel and all that is ok pressure checked to VP44. when it cranks are you getting smoke out of tail pipe? crack the lines to injectors and see if its spraying. lift pump goes the vp44 goes with it 99% of the time.

Quick Reply: 02 2500 intermittent starting