Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

flashpaq vs smarty jr

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 AM
farmerguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flashpaq vs smarty jr

currently running a flashpaq on my 07 5.9. really like it but had a warranty issue {injector} last week and was told all my data had been erased and they didnt want to warranty bad injector. they finally did warranty it but i was told to get rid of programmer. i didnt tell them i had a programmer, but key cycle count was low and engine only had 2 hours run time onit so they knew, no matter how mant times i lied to them! so, will the smarty really be invisible if i remove it and why else is it better than flashpaq? im just interested in fuel mileage and better drivability, not needing the other smarty available. if you're gonna say superchips suck, then give me good reasons why to buy a smarty. thanks,,,,,

Old 12-23-2009, 10:52 PM
terb

the S-06 smarty really is invisible to the dealer

Old 12-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by terb
the S-06 smarty really is invisible to the dealer
No it's not.

On the surface it is, but any tech worth a crap can see it.

I don't even need to use the StarScan or StarMobile to see it. All I need is an Actron and I can tell it's been programmed / flashed.

Doesn't matter what programmer you use. If you make a change in the computer, it can be seen.

Last edited by Coal Train; 12-24-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:45 AM
cchavez06
Rookie

Now having a chip/programmer on your computer does that only void the warranty on the truck or is there more to it like they can't fix it because of the different software loaded on it?

Old 12-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Coal Train
All Star

It all depends on the dealership.

Basically, you can attribute ANY failure, ANYWHERE in th driveline to a power adder.

Why, because you exceeded the factory rating. That's the excuse you'll get.

Running a tuner and your torque converter took a dump?.....too bad, the extra power caused it.

Running a tuner and a u-joint let go?.....too bad, the extra power caused it.

Running a tuner and the dome light stopped working?.....now that's not caused by the tuner (most likely).

Bottom line: If something you did can be attributed in the least bit to the failure, you're screwed.

Now, for those that are running stand alone modules (like an Edge), even if you remove it, I can see there was something there. There are several spots in the ECM that the stand alone modules fool and, plain and simple, the numbers and tables don't lie.

The average tech may not know what he's looking for and may not see it, BUT an actual diesel tech....that owns a diesel and drives it everyday will know right where to look. And he's not trying to screw you in most cases. If it comes down to a big repair, Cummins WILL send a rep to investigate. If the dealership covered it under warranty and Cummins denies it, who do you think gets hit? The dealership eats the cost and the tech gets scrutinized and it makes life harder on him and the rest of the service department.

When it comes to mods.....YOU play, YOU pay.

Last edited by Coal Train; 12-24-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: flashpaq vs smarty jr