Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Top Speed of 35 MPH (No Power)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
cody_748
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to rev it all the way to around 3100rpm... in neutral with no load.
I used to put around 100-200 miles a day on it but here laterly since power is way down, probably no more than 30 or 40. My driving habits were pretty laid back... cruise at 65 most of the time, change gears around 2000rpm, no hot *******, never use 1st gear, just trying to get her to last as long as i can.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Doesn't sound like it's the governor spring then.

It's gotta be starving for fuel.

The only thing I can think of at this point is swapping the lift pump.

Only 2 other things it could really be. Either the injection pump needs a rebuild or the the engine is getting tired.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM
cody_748

Well tomorrow i will know a little more. I'm going to check the fuel pressure from the tank to the I.P. I'll let you know what i found.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:42 AM
cody_748

I haven't received my fuel pressure tester yet but i wanted to mention something that happened yesterday. We had left to try and go on a service call in my Dodge and realized that it wouldn't pull above 2200rpm without feeling like it was missing. 1st & 2nd gear were fine, pulling hard, nice and smooth up to around 3000rpm but when i shifted into 3rd, it pulled fine up to 2200, it started to miss real bad. The more i pushed on the throttle above 2200, the worse it got & when i dropped down below 2200rpm, it smoothed back out. 4th gear just doesnt pull at all above 1200rpm but i don't really feel any missing in 4th.

I'm still going to get my fuel pressure tester because i think that is the most logical starting point.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Coal Train
All Star

How deep into the throttle are you in each of the gears?

Obviously you don't need to get as deep in to the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear to hit 3000 RPM and you need progressively more in 3rd and 4th.

I think the fuel pressure is a good starting point, but I'd be starting to look at the injection pump also.

Hopefully it is just a fuel pressure issue, but I'm thinking you're going to find it's the injection pump.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:12 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

Sounds like fuel pressure, the old 12v is starving, I would go ahead and adjust the valve lash while your under the hood

Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 PM
cody_748

I thought i'd drop yall a note and let you know whats happening with my truck. I bought a new truck here a few months ago and put the Dodge on the back burner untill this week. Its still low on power, wont go up a hill and tops out at 45mph. I ordered a set of 60hp injectors and installed them 2 days ago. Old ones had a huge amount of carbon build up around the nozzels. Drove the truck with new injectors.... made no difference. I moved then to the pre-filter. Having 300,000 miles and never been cleaned, i was expecting the worse. Filter actually was not that bad. Pulled it out, it cleaned right up. Drove truck.... no difference. Installed a fuel injection pressure testing gauge on the banjo fitting on the fuel supply into the injection pump.... at idle i was getting 5psi & at 2500rpm i was getting 2 psi.
I had purchased a lift pump for the truck several months ago and thought this might be a good time to install it. So we pulled the started, installed the new lift pump and took another pressure reading at the inlet to the injection pump. 10psi at idle & 5 psi at 2500rpm. I then pulled the fuel bypass off the backside of the I.P., thinking that it might be stuck open. The bearing looked fine and the spring moved freely but we went ahead and installed a smaller second spring inside the primary spring to create more resistance. Re-installed the bypass fitting, fired the truck up and am now getting 30psi and idle & 10psi and 2500 rpm.

The only thing i can figure is at idle, the fuel pump is moving an adequate amount of fuel to get a 30psi reading... and as i increase engine speed and my fuel pressure drops, the lift pump MUST be starving for fuel to get it to drop to 10psi. Tomorrow we're removing the fuel tank to see if there is a sock on the fuel pickup in the tank that might be causing a blockage. I know i went about this process backwards but i kinda figured with the high mileage, the truck was due for some new parts.

Can you guys think of something i might be missing except for the obvious weak injection pump? That shouldnt cause a drop in fuel pressure and engine rpm increases...should it?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 PM
pizzo
All Star

Its going to drop down but from 30psi to 10psi hummm.. Why do you have so much pressure? IMO that is to high you have a vp44 so I'm thinking your pressure should be around 21-15 psi idle IMO I forgot what the real numbers are.. I know you dont want to go below 7 psi or your vp44 is starving and at 2 psi forget it buy another one cause your trashed it fast.. Sorry I'm not much help Coaltrain is better at this topic then me...

Vote for me here You have to have more then 60 posts and a member for more then 30 day to vote...I'm the only diesel in the Red Truck Club Ride Of The Month https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodgefor...ml#post2134665

Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 PM
cody_748

I.P. is a P7100. Its a 96 12 valve. According to what i have found in the internet, fuel pressure should be 18-24psi at idle and 28-36 at 2000 rpm with no load. The reason i'm getting alot higher at idle is because we changed /added a spring to the fuel overflow valve. We were just trying different things to try and fligure out why the pressure drops..instead of increasing with engine rpm.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:21 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even at 10 psi, you should have plenty of power, but there does seem to be a restriction somewhere,definatly check into it, but my bet would be a stuck afc housing, (on the top, rear of the IP) four bolts hold it down, including one breakoff screw, pull it and check it with shop air, it should move plenty at about 10 psi, if it is stuck it wont allow the the IP to fuel at all, causing massive lose in power, also, if you havent already, check all boost tube connections for leaks

Quick Reply: Top Speed of 35 MPH (No Power)