Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

'04 3500 roaring at certain speeds

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 AM
disaster4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 3500 roaring at certain speeds

I've noticed this for the past 2 days. Between the speeds of 20-30 mph, I hear an annoying roaring sound from somewhere in the truck. It's sounds like someone blowing into an old coke bottle. It appears to be coming from the middle of the truck. Does anybody have an idea before this thing drives me crazy

Old 12-31-2009, 02:36 AM
pizzo
All Star

well I posted to this and it did show but idk why..
Anyways I think I know what it is. Does it do it when its cold?
My truck does that when its cold. It is the trans I am not sure the reason it does it but that is certain where it is coming from..

Old 12-31-2009, 12:34 PM
disaster4

Its been in the high 20's and lower 30's recently. Is it something that needs repaired, as I am getting ready totake a trip to Afghanastan and I don't want my wife to have any surprises while I am gone.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

I'm pretty sure I know the sound you are talking about. I had an 04 cummins also that made the same sound when it was cold.

Dodges transmissions don't pump fluid when in park, so even if you are warming up your truck, no tranny fluid get's pumped.

What I would do is put the transmission in neutral and put on the parking brake while it warmed up. That would greatly reduce to stop the noise depending on how long I let it warm up for.

Nothing wrong with the noise, just take it easy for awhile.

Quick Reply: '04 3500 roaring at certain speeds