Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Sporadic Whine when Turbo Spools

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 PM
huntindog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporadic Whine when Turbo Spools

Hey i am new on this forum but I thought I would pose a question for all who are knowledgeable. I have a 2006 ram 5.9l turbo and I am having a sporadic whining noise when my turbo spools up. The noise sounds exactly like a loose ground wire whine through your stereo but it doesn't happen all the time which leads me to believe that its something to do with my turbo or elsewhere. If any of you have any knowledge of where to start my troubleshooting I would appreciate it.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:50 PM
pizzo
All Star

First off it is normal for a turbo to whine its boosting. Are you new to diesel trucks? or just new to forum?

But lets check it out anyways to be safe side. Take the intake tube off that goes to the turbo from the Air filter. in the opening their is the impeller its mounted on a shaft that has a nut holds the impeller in place.

see if the impeller shaft moves in and out wards. Also up and down. Also see if it spins freely..
Do you have any gauges? if so what is the boost psi reading? is the check engine light on (CEL) If so get the codes Autozone or O'reilly's loans them out...
Also here is a link for you to check out the silencer ring make sure it still there
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...l-yokel-7.html
Hope this helps
Pizzo
If possible can you take a few pictures and post them on here If you think something isn't right?

Old 12-31-2009, 06:51 PM
huntindog

Thanks for the reply pizzo. Yah I know what normal turbo whine sounds like and can hear it as well but this is a different noise on top of that so I am not to sure it is the impeller or silencer ring but those are good places to start looking I appreciate the info.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:08 PM
pizzo
All Star

You are welcome I really hope that helps... and the problem is not that serious.. Please keep us informed.... Also could it sound like you are blowing into a glass bottle kinda sound to it? If so I've had that happen to me a few times with my truck... I think its coming from the transmission... but I don't think i was boosting..But with my problems I have not been able to find a answer to it... or what it could be...
well thanks for posting and hope that works out and you are able to find the problem
Pizzo

Quick Reply: Sporadic Whine when Turbo Spools