Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2wd vs 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM
jerryb1973
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd vs 4wd

I am still trying to decide between 2wd and 4wd. I wont be doing heavy duty off roading, but will be traveling on unpaved roads in State and National Recreation areas and will be pulling a 24' travel trailer. A buddy tells me that with the front end being so heavy (diesel engine) and rear end so light when unloaded, his 2wd will get "stuck" on wet grass. Is that a valid issue with 2wd diesels?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 PM
bigred3297
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerryb1973
I am still trying to decide between 2wd and 4wd. I wont be doing heavy duty off roading, but will be traveling on unpaved roads in State and National Recreation areas and will be pulling a 24' travel trailer. A buddy tells me that with the front end being so heavy (diesel engine) and rear end so light when unloaded, his 2wd will get "stuck" on wet grass. Is that a valid issue with 2wd diesels?

I personally would go with a 4wd. One reason is that i have been stuck many times pulling a fifth wheel in a 2wd. It's not fun

Thats the simple answer, better safe than sorry but it all depends on what youre pulling, tongue weight, how youre pulling, where, etc.

The rear end of any truck is lighter than the front so traction is an issue, but that is resolved once you have a load on the end. But if your RWD cant get you out of a wet spot, youd wish you had the 4wd

Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 PM
rodnok
Rookie

My friggin' 98 2 wheel drive gets stuck in an inch of snow. If I had known I would have held out for a 4x4. Well The 2 wheel drive does get better fuel mileage on the highway though. And I spend my winters in Florida. I had to wait till xmas to leave this year but that ain't gonna happen again. Thanksgiving at the latest from now on.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 AM
arsoninvt

Jerry, I just bought my first 4WD about 2 mos ago. With the infrequent snow we get down here in Texas, didnt know if it was worth the expense. But when I had to engage the 4WD last month just to get out of a hay pasture pulling a trailer with 4 round hay bales on it. I will never go back.. No more getting stuck. Did awesome on the 2 snowstorms we have had here recently. I never slid once. Got to laugh at the 2WD in front of me trying to get traction. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM
dan983
Amateur
Default 2 WD or 4X4

I have an 08 diesel Ram 4 x 4. If you get the 2 wheel drive, you'll be stuck. Even going up a steep hill wet, the 2 wd posi-traction will spin. 4x4 is the only way.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:28 PM
allbroncos

Here in No. Nevada, when it rains or snows, it turns this sand/ alkali combo into "snot". My back yard is where I keep my trailers, and without 4x4 I wouldn't even make it past my house. I would go with the 4x4...

Old 01-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Cummins12Valve

4WD is the only way to go period. I lost my 4x4 for about 2 weeks last winter, and found out just how utterly useless these trucks are without it, you got that Huge Cummins in the front and the only weight in the back is your Dana and thats prettymuch it, and if you live in an area like I do where our town is built on the side of a mountain, even turning out of the 7-11 up the hill if its raining your gonna have trouble, and you said that you will be going off pavment here or there towing a trailer, say you meet another guy towing a bigger trailer on that road and you have to pull over.... it just takes a pathetic little patch of loose gravel or mud and your done...

Also, you have to take into the account the re-sale value of the truck, 4x4's are in higher demand and are much easier to sell and hold their value a bit more than a 2wd mostly because it is a more capable peice of equipment and if your selling a 2wd your only selling to people who are going to use it as a hauler whereas if your selling a 4wd you selling to haulers, campers hunters, fisherman, etc etc , it is an option I would not live without on my Cummins.

guess what im saying is you would really rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

and im not putting 2wd's down they are a superb piece of equipment excellent for hauling, the above is just my opinion, I would be stoked on owning any Cummins 2wd or 4wd!! I like my 4wd tho haha

hope that helps you and good luck your gonna Love whatever you get!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 PM
pizzo
All Star

I Have only owned 2 2wd trucks all the rest have been 4wd. If your in snow wet grass mud or just hit a ice storm while driving down I 94 in chicago 4wd is worth it in the long run... This winter I have already lost count of how many times i have turned the switch to 4wd just stuck in snow in my alley were I was in 2wd and it just stopped rear tires spinning and couldn't plow through the snow.
My 2 cents

Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Steelslinger

Like everyone has said, 4x4. An old adage that I've always like is "Better to have and not need, then to need and not have". Holds true for carrying a gun and for 4wd.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:33 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider the whieght of of your truck, add the whight of your trailer, add mud and rain in the RV park and your backing up with 2 drive wheels, or 4 drive wheels?

Once you start towing and driving, you will encounter nasty road conditions at all times of the year, no one expect's your going to go off road towing a travel trailer, once you own a 4wd, you will never go back to 2wd.