Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help with CTD newbie please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Fris
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with CTD newbie please.

Hi I have an 04 Hemi 1500 2wd and I am looking into getting an 06-08 2500 CTD 4x4. I was wondering if I should get a 5.9 or look for a truck with the 6.7 CTD. I see the 5.9 more and was wondering what is preferred? I have read that the 6.7 has a factory exhaust brake. I live in Southern California so bad weather related issues won't really apply to me.

My use for the truck:
A lot of towing with a ~2000lb trailer and ~2600 race car
Occasional off-roading for fun (sand dunes, desert, snow,mud)

And I just want a truck I can keep forever. My Hemi is great, but not so great on gas, i have a defective HVAC system where I have to pull whole dash to fix it and I am out of warranty for that. Minor suspension issues I don't like ( 6" lift kit) bump steer is awful, 2wd so can't do much off roading.

Any suggestions, or help I can get I will appreciate.

Thanks,

- Fris

Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Grr287
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 5.9 is tried and true...pretty much bulletproof and better on mpg. i hear the 6.7 is a beast though, but you need to get a few things done to her, like a dpf delete and some other emissions things to really unleash her potential. and im not sure if all the 6.7's come with an exhaust brake, but try to find one that does. they are badass and will help save your brakes while towing.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Fris
Professional

thank you, there is life in this section! lol

Old 01-11-2010, 05:11 PM
pizzo
All Star

Since you live in California. the dpf delete is not a option for you. My guess is that they inspect your truck. You can get a 6.7 and buy the kit put the stock exhaust back on for inspection time and then remove it when you have taken it to be inspect. If you get a truck in California then your chances are that truck will have less stock HP. Then trucks that are out of your state. please don't that California emissions stop you from buying the truck. those trucks are run lean and the internals of the engine will last forever.. if taken care of correctly... but you will have less Horsepower then same year as a truck from the midwest. As far as upgrading HP idk if your limited or how far you can go...

Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

personally...when it came time to buy my current truck there was no debate on what to buy...the 6.7 is nice cause it has more power out the box, but there are so many more mods available for the 5.9 and the 5.9 has been tested and proved its self in the field...granted the 6.7 is gonna be a great engine, but IMO nothing will ever beat the 5.9

Old 01-11-2010, 06:01 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you live in California. the dpf delete is not a option for you
no emmissions in cali, nor any time soon for automotive diesels, at least up north where i am at

Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
no emmissions in cali, nor any time soon for automotive diesels, at least up north where i am at
I heard around here they was just to checking and make sure it was their.. Not really TESTING for say..

Quick Reply: Help with CTD newbie please.