Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New with fuel leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 AM
prmoyers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all, I now have specific places to look.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
on the 95 the filter should screw directly on the head, there is a gasket there and also the water drain on the filter could be leaking too

i believe you are thinking about the first gen filters, thats where they were, but in 94 they moved the heater to the side of the block, just forward of the lift pump, and also put a pre screen in there which the bottom spins off to get to it, and is well known for leaks and pluging up
Ahhh, you're right. Actually I was thinking about the 24V trucks. They have the fuel heater right on top of the filter head.

Here's a diagram of the filter assmebly for your truck. I'll pull the lift pump and pre-screen diagrams this afternoon.

Name:  12VFilterAssembly.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  42.9 KB

Last edited by Coal Train; 01-21-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:18 PM
prmoyers

Thanks Coal Train, is the wires coming out of the bottom of the screw on filter (16 on diagram) suppose to connect to anything? Mine are just hanging.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Coal Train
All Star

That should be for the Water In Fuel Sensor.

That wiring comes as part of the drain valve.

Off-hand I can remember if the 94 - 95 models used that sensor, I don't believe they did. The 96 - 98 models did.

Here's the rest of the stuff to look at for leaks. This is the rest of your fuel system in that area.

#1 is the Pre-strainer and heater element
#8 is the transfer pump
#16 is the fuel shut down solenoid.

Name:  12VFuelSystem.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  60.9 KB

Last edited by Coal Train; 01-23-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM
prmoyers

Thanks again Coal Train, I'm gonna start with the filter, I waiting for it to arrive and a half decent day to change it and will move down to to prefilter or transfer pump if necessary. You and the others on this site are greatly appreciated.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Aaronon38s
Rookie

This sounds a lot like the leak I had last year, and after doing some looking around, not such an uncommon leak. There is a flexible (rubber type) return hose coming from the overflow valve back to the fuel filter. Most of it is a hard line, but about 12-16inches is soft right between the fuel filter and engine. I had to pull the filter off, then it is held on by a couple hose clamps. Of course, not easy to reach, but a fairly simple fix. I just got a generic diesel line hose for about 35 cents. I just can't remember the size. My brother-in-law drove it like this for almost 2 months before he said anything to me.

Quick Reply: New with fuel leak problem