Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

6.7L CTD power adders question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Spinkton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7L CTD power adders question

My CTD 6.7 is stock.. looking to get some more power out of it.. Not looking for 1000hp or anyhting lol. 100-150 more hp/tq or a setting for better mileage (wishful i know) or anyhting htat you guys could recommend or whatnot. sorta a loaded question but dont really want to go into the engine. electronic mods really what im looking for

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:54 PM
mmstar23
Champion

the SMARTY by MADs electronics is the way to go man! i love mine! and they now offer POD which is power on demand. there are 9 tunes the best for a stock truck is lvl 3 which adds timing and IIRC is the 70 hp tune.

http://www.madselectronics.com/

Old 01-20-2010, 10:55 PM
mmstar23
Champion

your gonna want to get yourself some guages though! which is the reason why some go with the edge...it has a built in monitor, but you still need to hook up your probes! but IMO, go with the smarty!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

Mods might want to move this over the CTD section! im sure more imput is found there.
but my 02. is a tuner of somekind. improve MPGS and make HP

Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Spinkton

Thanks MM ill look into the smarty!

Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 PM
pizzo
All Star

whoo hoo 6.7s are sweet good amounts of power once you get all that emissions crap off...
So You will need a egr delete and a particulate filter delete and then a chip so the sensors will read the cat is their when its not.. then you see if you like it with out the filter.. then you can get a programmer of your choice.
Just stay away from a K&N air filter... If you want to get pricing Check out our vendor section For diesels I think their is only one... I checked and their is not a listing for a diesel vendor his name is Coaltrain and www.doghousediesel.com is his website I am sure that he will chime in on this today or tomorrow....

Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Lots of things that you can do with that 6.7, but there are a few things that you want to do first.

1 - What do you do with the truck EVERYDAY?

2 - What do you WANT the truck to do?

3 - What kind of goals would you eventually like to see, HP wise?

Answer those and I can give you a much better idea of where to go.

BUT, as has been said, when it comes to the tuning, Smarty is the way to go. I have them available, BUT, until you have a way of monitoring the temps, I would HIGHLY advise AGAINST putting ANY tuning devices or power adders on the truck. Power is fun, melting piston isn't.

First thing - GAUGES! Gauges, gauges, gauges! No power mods without gauges!
Next - Air Intake!
Then - Exhaust! Gotta ge trid of that DPF and EGR before you start throwing the power to it. Otherwise you'll clog it up and cause more issues.

Here, read this. It'll give ya some things to think about and maybe a little bit of direction to do things the right way and in the right order.

http://www.doghousediesel.com/id12.html

Old 01-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Spinkton

Well, my truck is my daily driver.. i drive it to work everyday. i do the typical truck things with it everyday.. tow trailers move stuff. i go hunting with it. Currently its got a lift in it with 37's.

Seems that removing the egr and the dpf is the consensus, but im a bit worried as we do have to run our vehicles here in canada thru air emissions and get them passed in order to insure them. so im a bit concerned about that

Guages arent a issue at all... definatley know that ill need a set of those..

as for power. nothing extreme, perhaps 75-100 more hp/tq, ive heard that you can get better fuel milage too with a click of a button, then go to more power with just another click etc.

not really sure whats out there but i appreciate the information will give that website a good read when i wake up in the morning!

cheers!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Coal Train
All Star

The main problem is that if you don't remove the DPF and / or delete the EGR and you start adding power adders, you're going to clog up the DPF and your EGT's are gonna be through the roof.

The DPF and EGR deletes are completely reversible, so if the emmissions are annual requirements, you can swap the OEM components back in.

It's kind of a balancing act.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Spinkton

so i found out that emission controls can be bypasses with my 3500 so i guess step 1 will be dpf and egr delete, and a smarty and will go from there!

edit: and a air intake

Ok so i just checked and noticed That this intake is on the truck already. Does it pass for a descent one?

http://www.airaid.com/images/Product...300-209-LG.jpg

Last edited by Spinkton; 01-23-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 6.7L CTD power adders question