Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Atf in the fuel?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010 | 08:33 PM
jmn1960
|
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Atf in the fuel?????

5.9 12V I RUN LUCAS AND MARVEL MYSTERY OIL IN THE FUEL AND IT WORKS GREAT UPED THE MILAGE QIUT A BIT AND ALOT QUITER------SOME ONE TOLD ME TO RUN ATF IN THE FUEL EVERY OTHER TAK OR SO----IS THIS TRUE???? SAYS IT KEEPS EVERYTHING IN THE FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN---KINDA LEARY ON THIS ---SO WHATS THE SCOOP ANYBODT DO THIS///

Old 01-26-2010 | 09:23 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i burn all sorts of garbage, mainly used engine oil, also hydraulic, atf, and a few others, but all waste oil, and anywhere up to 90% waste oils to 10% diesel and works great, i would be a little leary about used atf and hyd oils unless they have been filtered well

Old 01-26-2010 | 09:35 PM
jmn1960
|
Professional
Question

so new atf in the fuel is ok? does it help lubricate and clean the systym like i was told?

Old 01-27-2010 | 01:04 AM
chris1970

there was a write-up in Diesel Power? about a guy who runs used atf for fuel. was several months ago, can probly find it online.

Old 01-27-2010 | 09:43 AM
racer9
Veteran

It's an "old truckers tale". Back in the day, diesel wasn't a very good fuel, and that old atf wasn't much of an oil. The two together worked fairly good, but those injection systems and that oil were very different than what we have now.
Do what you want to, but atf is a bad idea for many reasons. It tints the fuel red, so if your fuel is dipped, you will be fined. Modern atf is filled with additives not designed, intended, or very good for, a combustion chamber. Newer injection systems have very fine tolerances and will become plugged with atf use.
Use 2 stroke oil, or non detergent motor oil.

Old 01-27-2010 | 01:09 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

It's an "old truckers tale". Back in the day, diesel wasn't a very good fuel, and that old atf wasn't much of an oil. The two together worked fairly good, but those injection systems and that oil were very different than what we have now.
Do what you want to, but atf is a bad idea for many reasons. It tints the fuel red, so if your fuel is dipped, you will be fined. Modern atf is filled with additives not designed, intended, or very good for, a combustion chamber. Newer injection systems have very fine tolerances and will become plugged with atf use.
Use 2 stroke oil, or non detergent motor oil.
it all burns quite well, if fact with the junk i burn, i see up to 3 more mpg's (not to mention its free fuel anyway) and lower egt's, these old 12 valves will pretty much burn anything you can squeez through the injectors without any problems, but i would not do it in the 24v's, as far as atf, and geting you tank dipped, they test it and can tell if its red fuel or something else, so atf can be called an additive, but run too much of it and they find out...well, you still arnt paying road taxes on it and could be fined, and i was woried at first about atf and some other oils because of the compounds they were made of, so i went to the msds sheets, and you would be suprised how colsely matched about 90% of oils are

Old 01-29-2010 | 02:41 AM
coalminer08

ok so i can run just reg motor oil in the fuel on my 02 24v

Old 02-10-2010 | 01:04 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are better off running an additive like Power Services, Lucas, or Howes... They all do the same things people "think" ATF does plus they raise cetane rating which improves mileage/power. Oils of any kind will lower cetane ratings and yes they`ll lower EGTs too, but that`s because there`s less heat energy per gallon. Same goes for most biodiesels, chicken fat bio has higher cetane than #2 does, but still less heat energy. A B20 blend with chicken fat bio will gain about 10% on a dyno (personal experience with a pulling tractor on the power gain 121hp straight #2 and 130 on the B20 blend).

That being said, the old VE and P-pump trucks are pretty darn forgiving on what you run through them... So long as it`s either new or raw oils, or it has been filtered extensively to remove any abrasive particles. Otherwise you ARE prematurely wearing your injection pump and your injectors out.

Old 02-10-2010 | 01:34 PM
MOPARPAT
Rookie

Just curious, can you burn the used oil from a diesel truck or used oil from a gasoline car and how much would you add per 35 gals of gas to make it work but mot clogg anything up. I'm also going to change tranny fluid in my gasoline vehicles, can I use that and again how much, thanks

Old 02-10-2010 | 02:24 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

the engine oil will be fine out of either engine, just use a clean pan to drain the oil pan into and use something seperate to pull the filters off and dispose of that, the oil out of the pan you can pour directly in the tank, how ever, like said before, i would only do it to a 12 valve, maby a quart or two per full tank in a 24 valve but that would still make me nervous with how tempermental thoes fuel systems are, i have gone up to 90% waste oil to 10% diesel with no problems other than, at that high of mixture it does start to stink a little but no smoke other than a slight haze at a cold idle, atf... well i would filter the hell out of it with a filter of 2 micron or less, and only if it still had good color and nothing noticably visualy wrong with it

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 02-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Atf in the fuel?????