Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cant get rear drum off

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010 | 12:48 AM
98 Ram
|
Default Cant get rear drum off

I've got a 98 ram 2500, did the brakes on the front end and i replaced the shoes and wheel cylinder on the left rear. I'd like to do the same to the right rear but cant seem to get the drum off. ive tried tapping it with a hammer around the lugs and also hitting from the back side but havent had any luck. would loosening the shoes help? how do i do that? any tips and or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2010 | 10:37 AM
rodnok
Rookie

back off the adjuster wheel, which is accessable thru an oblong rubber plug in the back lower portion of the wheel assembly. squirt some penetrating oil around the hub where the drum fits over it. let it sit for an hour and then tap on the center of the hub and wiggle the drum till it comes loose. If the shoes have worn out there may be a ridge around the outer portion of the drum where the metal part of the shoes have worn into the drum.

Old 02-04-2010 | 09:00 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

What rodnok said. I will add that those adjusters are usually a fine thread and take for EVER to get adjusted down so the drum will come off. Is the drum rusted to the hub solid or will it wiggle but not come off?

Old 02-20-2010 | 09:01 PM
ctsishawn

frankly i'd be surprised if the back brakes were actually working on that year model, had a 99 and chased rear brake problems for 3 years... dang things just wouldnt adjust... but, do remember a couple times having to grab a torch (i had an oxygen/acetylene from dad's A/C business) but heat it up just about glowing red around the outside and studs (just try to heat studs up as little as possible) and pull the drum off wearing a pair of mechanics gloves. key is to get the drum to expand by heating it up.

-Shawn

Old 02-22-2010 | 12:02 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran

A really beefy 2-jaw puller normally works. The drum might pop off explosively though.

Quick Reply: Cant get rear drum off