Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Egt high???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:04 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the chip. You know I am now wondering if your tranny is causing the engine to work harder therefor having higher egts.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:29 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
Could be the chip. You know I am now wondering if your tranny is causing the engine to work harder therefor having higher egts.

Doesn't matter how "hard" the engine is working at a certain power level... My truck only hit 1250* on the dyno and I can't get it any warmer than that towing 20k gross either. I personally would have to point at the programming if it's a known problem that Edge products run hot.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 AM
pizzo
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely the same problem I have too much Fuel Not enough air... Bigger turbo and Inter cooler always helps.. I see you have straight Piped it thumbs up
Its not just edge I have a Bully dog bounces 1500 degrees. But that is on extreme. I added a boost fooler. It has cooled the EGT off but I am running 41 psi out of a stock 351 turbo. As we all know its a 35psi turbo since that is what it is designed for..

While driving watching your boost gauge does it hit 31psi then drop right away, down to 21- 25 psi?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 AM
cmharcou
Rookie

Originally Posted by joedodge06
well i just went snowmobiling i had a 28ft trailor full of 4 sleds. i was climbing my boost was at 21 to 25 lbs while climbing my egts were at 1350 the whole time. so i shut it off i could still hit 1350 then my tranny heated up wich is already a piece of crap anyway. i can get my boost up to 34 lbs i have a good airflow system. somone once told me that it was the edge chip, that it was faulty. could it be that??
I got an edge with attitude set on level 2 the whole way. Pulling 28 foot enclosed with 4 snowmobiles in it mine never got above 900 EGT and averaged about 750. I was getting 11-12 miles per gallon. 600 mile one way trip.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by pizzo
Most likely the same problem I have too much Fuel Not enough air... Bigger turbo and Inter cooler always helps.. I see you have straight Piped it thumbs up
Its not just edge I have a Bully dog bounces 1500 degrees. But that is on extreme. I added a boost fooler. It has cooled the EGT off but I am running 41 psi out of a stock 351 turbo. As we all know its a 35psi turbo since that is what it is designed for..

While driving watching your boost gauge does it hit 31psi then drop right away, down to 21- 25 psi?
You're thinking of the old HX series turbos... Smaller compressor wheels that were cast instead of CNC machined made them less efficient. The compressor side of the 351 is perfectly safe at 40psi, even the older 6 blade HX40 was good to 45psi... There's more than a few people pushing the stock 351cw's to 500+rwhp, the big thing that seems to hold them back is the small housing, but if you bore out the wastgate opening it seems to help them tremendously. It's not a lack of air due too small of a turbo, my 94 laid down 422/903 with ZERO smoke and at 1250* max EGT while on the dyno with an HE451VeTi, which is a slightly larger version of the HE351Ve (the only thing bigger in my case is the exhaust housing otherwise the compressor wheel is nearly identical other than being titanium).

One question that I don't think was brought up since he lives in Utah, was what kind of elevation are you towing in???

Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Okay, let's straighten this out.....pull up a stool and let's go to class.

1 - You have an '06 and are running an Edge. Edge runs hot on the common rails because it uses a lot of duration to make it's power. Duration raises power and EGT's because it extends the injection event deeper into the power stroke. This lets the extra heat to spin the turbo up faster.....but it also increases EGT's.

2 - The stock turbo on the truck is only efficient to 32 psi. Beyond that you are outside the efficiency map of the turbo and the only thing you're doing is heating up the air.

3 - Upgrading the intercooler is a waste on that truck. the stock intercooler's on the 06's are actually very good. Until you start upgrading turbos beyond 64mm, you won't gain squat with a new intercooler.

4 - 4" straight pipe exhaust is PLENTY on a truck with a stock turbo. You don't need to go over 4" until you're running a 64mm or larger turbo, or you start touching the 550 HP range.

5 - I've got customers pushing 500+ HP on a stock turbo....but it's COMPLETELY unusable power. It's only good for those few seconds on the dyno. Anything over 400 HP on a stocker is gonna put the EGT's through the roof when the truck gets used like a normal truck. Forget putting a trailer behind it at those power levels.

6 - The 3 areas you need to address are these....(1) Exhaust. Open that puppy up a bit (which you've already done) (2) Intake. The stock intake is extremely restrictive. You can peg the restriction gauge with a stock setup, (3) Turbo. Best way to reduce EGT's is stuff more air into the engine. Each pound of usable boost within the compressors efficiency map equals 10* of EGT reduction.

7 - Opening up the wastegate does NOTHING for performance. Opening the wastegate let's energy bypass the turbine wheel and go directly into the exhaust. The wastegate is used to bleed off excess drive pressure and keep the turbo's RPM's in check, that's it. A larger turbine housing is what reduces backpressure and aids in upper end EGT reduction. With a larger turbine housing, you get slightly slower spool times, but you get better flow on the top end. 12cm is good for a daily driver, 14cm is good for more of a hot rod.

BOTTOM LINE: If you want to reduce the EGT's, you either reduce the amount of fuel or you increase the size of the turbo.

My recommendation for what you are running is a turbo in the 57 - 62 mm range. Your stock compressor is a 54 mm and is close to it's efficient limits on a stock truck. Even on a stock truck, you can push the EGT's up over the 1250* range.

Most 57mm - 62mm turbos are withing their efficiency maps into the low 50 psi range; some are good up to 60 psi.

Something like an Aurora 3000 (57mm), HTT 62 or an Industiral Injection Phat Shaft 62 would do you right.

Last edited by Coal Train; 03-02-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:02 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by Coal Train
Okay, let's straighten this out.....pull up a stool and let's go to class.

1 - You have an '06 and are running an Edge. Edge runs hot on the common rails because it uses a lot of duration to make it's power. Duration raises power and EGT's because it extends the injection event deeper into the power stroke. This lets the extra heat to spin the turbo up faster.....but it also increases EGT's.

2 - The stock turbo on the truck is only efficient to 32 psi. Beyond that you are outside the efficiency map of the turbo and the only thing you're doing is heating up the air.

3 - Upgrading the intercooler is a waste on that truck. the stock intercooler's on the 06's are actually very good. Until you start upgrading turbos beyond 64mm, you won't gain squat with a new intercooler.

4 - 4" straight pipe exhaust is PLENTY on a truck with a stock turbo. You don't need to go over 4" until you're running a 64mm or larger turbo, or you start touching the 550 HP range.

5 - I've got customers pushing 500+ HP on a stock turbo....but it's COMPLETELY unusable power. It's only good for those few seconds on the dyno. Anything over 400 HP on a stocker is gonna put the EGT's through the roof when the truck gets used like a normal truck. Forget putting a trailer behind it at those power levels.

6 - The 3 areas you need to address are these....(1) Exhaust. Open that puppy up a bit (which you've already done) (2) Intake. The stock intake is extremely restrictive. You can peg the restriction gauge with a stock setup, (3) Turbo. Best way to reduce EGT's is stuff more air into the engine. Each pound of usable boost within the compressors efficiency map equals 10* of EGT reduction.

7 - Opening up the wastegate does NOTHING for performance. Opening the wastegate let's energy bypass the turbine wheel and go directly into the exhaust. The wastegate is used to bleed off excess drive pressure and keep the turbo's RPM's in check, that's it. A larger turbine housing is what reduces backpressure and aids in upper end EGT reduction. With a larger turbine housing, you get slightly slower spool times, but you get better flow on the top end. 12cm is good for a daily driver, 14cm is good for more of a hot rod.

BOTTOM LINE: If you want to reduce the EGT's, you either reduce the amount of fuel or you increase the size of the turbo.

My recommendation for what you are running is a turbo in the 57 - 62 mm range. Your stock compressor is a 54 mm and is close to it's efficient limits on a stock truck. Even on a stock truck, you can push the EGT's up over the 1250* range.

Most 57mm - 62mm turbos are withing their efficiency maps into the low 50 psi range; some are good up to 60 psi.

Something like an Aurora 3000 (57mm), HTT 62 or an Industiral Injection Phat Shaft 62 would do you right.
That's funny, last time I checked the measurements on a HE351cw are 60/88 ind./exd. and it was a CNC machined aluminum wheel and the turbine was 70/58. The 341 on the other hand is 54mm, but they stopped using those in 04.5... I guess the VGT turbos must flow a lot better up top with the ability to make the housing bigger to lower drive rather than divert it.

I still want to know what kind of elevation he is towing at, if it's over 6,000' a single 62 isn't going to cut it, even a 62/65/12 IMO... I couldn't even control my EGTs EMPTY at that kind of elevation (and my truck only weighs 5600#). Honestly a set of towing twins using the stocker over, say, a 66mm S300 would be the only answer I can think of if that's the case.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Coal Train
All Star

He has an '06.....doesn't have a VGT turbo!

The 351CW is used on the 04.5 - 07 5.9's. The turbine wheel is only a 60mm.

The 03 and 04 trucks used the HX35 and HY35, depending on transmission.

The VGT's didn't come into play until 07'5 on the 6.7's.....compare apples to apples.

He DOES NOT need a set of twins for that setup.

6000 ft isn't squat when you're making you own atmosphere. A 62, even with a set of 50 HP nozzles is just fine.

You won't see a 70+ mm turbine wheel until you start looking at Super Phat Shaft's, HTT 71's or A4000's.

Last edited by Coal Train; 03-02-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Here's the difference between the stocker and something with a 57mm compressor. This was an install on one of my customers trucks.

Stocker = 54/60/9

The Aurora 3000 next to it is a 57/65/12

Name:  Slide3-1.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  Slide4-1.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  106.5 KB

Last edited by Coal Train; 03-02-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Just for comparison....here are the twins on my truck.

The big one is an Aurora 5000. That's a 71/74.

Name:  TurbosSplit.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  82.3 KB

Here's both of them with the stocker.....

Name:  OldandNew.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  85.3 KB

Quick Reply: Egt high???