Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I'm cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
planemech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm cold

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel. Recently I smelled a faint smell of antifreeze when I turned on the heater but went away quickly. Starting earlier this week I have no heat at all. I checked the mixer valve and the servo is moving but I’m not sure the valve is still attached to the shaft. Has anyone had similar problems? I checked the archives and didn’t see the same situation, but maybe I missed it. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 PM
ecwrestoration@yahoo.com
Professional

Sounds like your heater core is bad.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is your coolant at the correct level? a smell of coolant normally means a leak, if its low enough, it wont pass through the heater core and you get no heat and a destroyed engine very quick, otherwise the 2nd gen trucks are known for pluging the heater cores internally, causing a lack of heat, just need to pull the lines off the firewall and flush with a garden hose to fix that problem, but if its leaking, the core needs to be replaced

Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 AM
planemech

Thanks guys, the coolant level is good. I've been watching it and have'nt noticed it going down. I'll look at the heater core today.

Quick Reply: I'm cold