Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bad Head :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:13 AM
hottrodder67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad Head :(

I took my manifold off this morning. Come to find that the number 2 cylinder was wet. I'm not sure what would cause this. My mechanic told me it could be a bad head or some bad seals in the head. A while back I had a number 2 injector **** the bed on me. He thinks if the injector was running lean then it might have caused this problem a long time ago. Does anybody know what it would coast roughly to get this fixed? What’s the worst-case ceriano and what’s the best? The truck has only 195k on it. Is this type of problem happening a lot on these engines? Is this something worth fixing or should I hang my hat up on her I really don't want to. Please any help or information will be great.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont worrie about it, its completely normal, especially if if it is idled at all before the tear down, i work for john deere and see brand new engines (very low hours) be extremly wet

Old 02-27-2010, 03:49 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

So even if i had a bad number 2 injectior a while back? does this ***** up the heads at all? i heard if the injectiors were bad it could have done damage a while ago.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

the only damage a bad injector could possibly do is destroy the piston but that is very rare, if it did any damage you would know it, i dont think you have anything to worrie about, if there is anything in the exhaust port, it will be gone the first time you hit the skinny pedal

Old 02-28-2010, 05:51 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

So why would there be oil coming out of the head? is it possible to have worn out guides?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

it could be fuel or oil from idleing, oil will come from the velve seals/guides, but as soon as the engine sees any kind of load, it builds pressure in the exhaust manifold, and makes it impossible ot leak oil into the exhaust, and is a normal condition, and if its fuel, it could be from a cold idle and an incomplete burn, if its oil it will be coming from the top of the head where the valve guide comes through, and fuel will be comig from the valve seat area, either way it is normal to see some wet spots in the exhaust runners

Quick Reply: Bad Head :(