Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Potential Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM
rbnzrcn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Purchase

Hey all,

Looking at picking up a clean one-owner 2001 Ram 2500 4X4 extended cab with 5.9 CTD. It is immaculate in and out. Currently has 47,500 miles with tons of service records. Doesn't look to have been chipped or modded at all ... completely stock. I haven't had a chance to check for a "53" block, but will if I purchase. The only drawback is that it is an auto, but that is not a show stopper for me. I have negotiated them down to $16500.

I've always wanted a diesel, but don't necessarily have a need for one. I don't do much towing, so it will be a daily driver back and forth to work about 20 miles each way.

The only part that I'm apprehensive about is that I will be trading in my 2007 Ram QC 1500 4x4 with the Hemi Big Horn edition and 23,700 miles. Essentially I will be going to a vehicle that is 6 years older with slightly more miles. Do you think it is worthwhile or do I keep the '07?

If I get the '01 I will definitely put a fuel pressure gauge and possibly replace the lift pump if pressure is not ideal.

Thoughts or anything else to look for?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
pizzo
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter what I say You can take it how ever you want to. 07 to a 01 yeah the 01 may last you 350,000 miles 07 ????? who knows
yes if it has a factory lift pump swap it out if not ideal pressure also if its not ideal worry about a injection pump at some point in time Vp44 don't like to be run out of fuel... they are great pumps just not ideal to run a bad lift pump or out of fuel... Fuel pressure gauge is a great start thumbs up to that

Quick Reply: Potential Purchase