Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Rebuilding Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:41 PM
AMERICANRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Injectors

Hey Guys
I just cleaned the mechanical end of my injectors for my 03 ram,but I heard at one time that the injectors need to have some type of electric charge put back in them before installing....anybody have any input about this.....

Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
pizzo
All Star

I have never heard of that before.. But once you turn your key on your going to have power to the injectors anyways...

Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Nope, all ya do is put the nozzles back on and re-install.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:53 PM
AMERICANRAM
Default Thank for the info

Thanks you for the info on the charging issue........Heres something interesting ...I cleaned the injectors and made sure all the little holes on the bussiness end of the injector were spraying...I installed them and the truck started easy and idled smooth as silk and was very quiet as always..but had not power...so I took them out and I installed New bosh injectors ..NOW the truck idles rough and is loud when idling but drives ok and quiets down when driving...I do notice that when I go to stop at a light it takes a sec for the engine to re-idle down...???? it acturaly feels like the truck shuts off for a sec the starts idling rough again......what the hell am I doing wrong.....

Last edited by AMERICANRAM; 03-19-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Sounds like you need to check the connector tube nuts.

If they aren't tight enough (or they're too tight) the fuel goes into bypass.

Those connector tube nuts on the driver side of the head need to be at 38 - 42 ft/lbs. This is critical.

I won't claim innocence of not getting those tight enough on occassion. The truck runs like crap, stalls, has no power, etc.

Start there, it's likely the problem.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:57 AM
AMERICANRAM
Default Ill check it out

Thanks Coal Train for all the information...Ill check it out this weekend.....Mike

Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 PM
AMERICANRAM
Default injectors

Heres a up date ...... after installing the new injectors the truck still was not idling right....So, after checking many things ,the out come was it had a bad FCA (fuel control actuator)
soooo ...... 10 weeks later and just under $4,000.00 the truck is running mint......
Thanks CoalTrain and everyone else for the in put.....Mike

Old 04-11-2010, 12:36 AM
pizzo
All Star

Hey Dude that is great.... Sorry about the price tag though that is a steep price to pay that engine should run for a while without needing anything...

Also that is why we are here. I like helping people. If they are in my area I offer to drive out to them and check things myself just so I can relate to what they are talking about... Yet I might not know the problem But I do know some one that does. They are always a email or phone call away...

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Injectors