Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Possible commins switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 AM
Bubba39047
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible commins switch

Hey cummins guys. Im a gas burner currently but am hoping to burn diesel pretty soon. I found a good cummins at a local used car dealership. Its a 2004, 6-speed, 2wd, single cab, base model. Has a flat bed on it. http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...7&cardist=6219
He is askin $10k, i could get him down a grand or so. Is this a good deal? Also what am i lookin at mileage wise? would it be near the acclaimed 20mpg hwy that i hear so much about? Thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 01:40 AM
ppc25

well to me 10k seems a lot of money for litlle truck and its only 2 wheel drive as well. Unless you need one of these i would not buy it. im'e pretty sure you could buy better for 10k if you look privetly.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 AM
racer9
Veteran

Actually it's only $150 shy of $11k, plus all their added fees, probably closer to $12k.
I don't think you'll see many '04's for that price though. Mileage isn't anything to worry about. You will have traction problems, the diesels are nose heavy, and even wet grass is a challenge, be very careful on wet pavement.
Check BlueBook to see if it's priced right. Look it over as well as any other used vehicle. Try to get the maintenance records, get a code reader and check for codes. You could probably get a standard pick up bed and install it, if you wanted to.
My guess is a landscaper had it and it idled a lot, that's bad for a diesel. If you're serious about it, get the compression checked.
I'm pretty sure the '04's did good on mileage, the 6 speed helps.
Good luck, no matter which way you go.

Quick Reply: Possible commins switch