Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

truck vibrates at lower speed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010 | 01:03 AM
slimkip
|
Default truck vibrates at lower speed.

Can some one help my truck vibrates when my truck is around 1500 rmps, and its worse at speeds of 40 and 1500 then it is at like 60 at the same. ive checked the wheels and the tie rods, the drive shaft and the u joints, and i have had a guy tell be its torque converter, and a dodge dealer say i have a bad injector. The truck runs great and there seems to be nothing other than a vibration. It an 06 3500 4x4, its stock except for exhaust and intake. any thoughts or opinions helpful.

Old 04-02-2010 | 10:53 PM
nrussell

i am having same problem. spent $290 on driveline balance and new joints and center bearing. didnt help.
have a billet garmon tranny, doubt thats the problem, but could be dont know. i will visit him monday to see what he thinks.
my injectors have 250k on them, so maybe that's it. seems weird that it would be injectors?

Old 04-03-2010 | 04:53 PM
Coal Train
All Star

There's a couple of things that it could be.....

1 - It "could" be the torque converter, but that's usually most noticeable at low speeds

2 - It "could" be the injectors, but that's most noticeable at idle. It'll usually rock the truck.

3 - It "could" be the harmonic damper. This could cause the vibration if it's worn out.

There's a rubber ring between the hub and the weight on the damper. Run your finger around that ring. If it's broken, chunked or otherwise, it's shot.

There's also 2 alignment marks. If those marks are more than 1/16" out of alignment, it's shot.

I know you said you checked the tires, but let me ask this......

Did you check them for balance or being out of round. They may balance fine but be as round as a football.

Normally if it's a u-joint, you feel it at 5 - 15 MPH. Tires being out of whack tend to show themselves at 40 - 60 MPH.

Old 04-09-2010 | 11:59 PM
slimkip
|

thanks for all the help, it turns out it was a universal u joint. two of the joints had no grease in them and thats what caused the vibration. thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: truck vibrates at lower speed.