Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help! DTT Shift Kit Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010 | 08:52 AM
dionisios
|
Default Help! DTT Shift Kit Problems

I finally decided to go with the DTT shift kit. I initial thought when I opened up the box was “this is what I paid all that money for”, but I figured that it was a custom kit. Then I looked at the instructions, which were very poor. Since all the comments I had read about DTT all praised their customer service I called them to discuss the installation. I Talked to Bill who basically gave me different directions then what was covered by the limited directions that were supplied. If I had started the installation without having called them first and following their direction I would have the incorrectly installed the shift kit. Once the installation was complete I took the truck out for a test drive. Initially I thought all was well. The shifts were crisper and more noticeable, but as I slowed down at a stop sign the truck made a big clunk noise. I found that the clunk noise one happened when the truck had reached 3rd gear and the then decelerated slowly. Under heavy breaking it did not make this noise. I immediately called bill at DT again to discuss this. He told me that the clunking noise was 3rd gear releasing. He told me to shim the rear bolt on the TV actuator servo and up the voltage on the voltage regulator to about 4.9 V, he said that that should fix the issue. I did as instructed but the problem did not go away. Again I called Bill and he basically told me that about 50% of the trucks do that. I was concerned that the clunking noise would have adverse effects on the transmission and the truck as a whole. Bill told me that it was not hurting anything. This clunking noise seems to be getting more pronounced and I no longer believe that this is not hurting something.
Does anyone have another ideas or experiences on what this may be?
Short of removing the shift kit and going back to the stock configuration has anyone had any experiences with this and have any ideas on what I can do to fix it?
Also, if I go back to the original configuration does anyone have a good method of how to seal the holes I had to drill in the stock valve body?

Thanks in advance-D

Old 04-15-2010 | 12:43 AM
pizzo
All Star

I have heard nothing but bad things about shift kits in our Trucks. the Hot thing to do is changing the VB and using a gm sol and pressure switch upgrade from suncoast converters... I do not and will not use a shift kit in Big booty Girl. Unless its installed in the new built trans I buy. When ever that may be...

Quick Reply: Help! DTT Shift Kit Problems