Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Rev Limits and Cruise Control.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Mr. Byte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rev Limits and Cruise Control.

I have a '94 and while I am not looking to go super fast, I am wondering why my truck will only roll up to about 80, pulling 2250RPM, but it'll free rev to 3k or so.

Fuel issue maybe, like a bad filter?

Also, my cruise control won't sustain speeds about 65. Not sure what to look at there.

Sorry if I'm a clueless newbie...

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:09 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you wont have much power over 2300 rpm's, thats where the govenor starts to kick in, you can put a set of 3k gov, springs and makes a world of difference, and will pull all the way to 3k, i would change the fuel filter and get a pressure reading from the lift pump, it could have: pluged filter, failing lift pump, or failing overflow valve, but also may have nothing wrong, it sounds normal for the most part, but still a good idea to check thoes things

the cruise servo will probably have to be changed, as it is mounted directly under the driver side battery, and over the years, battey asid leaks down and ruins it, a fairly common problem

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 04-15-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Mr. Byte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
you wont have much power over 2300 rpm's, thats where the govenor starts to kick in, you can put a set of 3k gov, springs and makes a world of difference, and will pull all the way to 3k, i would change the fuel filter and get a pressure reading from the lift pump, it could have: pluged filter, failing lift pump, or failing overflow valve, but also may have nothing wrong, it sounds normal for the most part, but still a good idea to check thoes things

the cruise servo will probably have to be changed, as it is mounted directly under the driver side battery, and over the years, battey asid leaks down and ruins it, a fairly common problem
Cool. I was afraid of something being really "wrong" like the vacuum pump. I'm the first to admit I know next to nothing about my truck, but it's probably time to learn.

I know the fuel filter needs serviced on GP, as I haven't done it since I got the truck 20k miles ago. Engine sounds good to me, aside from blowing oil out the down spout, which says "rings, someday" to me, she pulls like crazy, doesn't smoke much if at all. At 280k, I'm ok with it.

Only issue I've had running-wise was a stuck fuel cutoff solenoid/valve and that was caused by (according to the shop that fix her) corroded battery terminals and a low battery.

Quick Reply: Rev Limits and Cruise Control.