Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hey, everyone.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Fromthehills
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hey, everyone.

Obviously I'm new to the forum, and there's probably no question why I joined.

I have an '04 Dodge 4x4 with a 5.9, 140,000 miles. I recently replaced the injectors, myself, and installed an Airdog 100 system. Sometimes the thing runs great, and sometimes it runs great for an old VW Bus. Meaning, I can hardly pull a hill, empty.

I should be receiving my gauges tomorrow. Pyro, boost, and fuel pressure. Once I install them, maybe I'll have a better idea of what's wrong.

I'm getting the fan clutch code, P0483, replaced the fan clutch, and still have it. I don't think it's related. I had the code, I think it was 0251, but it went away when I bypassed the stock filter, but the power loss is still there, most of the time. Brand new filter and water separator.

One guy I talked to, who seems to know what he's talking about, thinks it may be that the PCM is confused with the new set up. I wonder if it could be something more inexpensive than buying a Smarty or something. I'm not looking to race the kids, only to be able to tow some, and drive it without worrying about it.

Any ideas, or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 AM
hottrodder67
Professional

what size injectors did you put in? also are you still running a stock intake? i had a similar problem when i had 90hp injectors put in. when i tried to hope on it it was very sluggish at some points. I put on a ATS intake manifold and the problem went away. You might be running to much fuel and not enough air. ATS makes the so does banks there's is the Big ram air intake. Di you test the injectors before you put them in?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Fromthehills

Shoot, I lost track of my post here, sorry Hottrodder, and thanks for the reply.

I didn't test the injectors before putting them in, but they are new and not refabs. They're 110s.

Mine for about the first hour of driving, when I'm going 65 I can punch it and it seems to just stand there. But after an hour it clears up. The other day I was hauling about 5000 pounds and it felt like I was hauling it with a Toyota.

Fuel pressure is at about 17 pounds, boost will shoot up fine, and pyro reads hotter when it's not running too good, say 1200 when floored and standing there, versus 900 when it really goes.

Makes sense, more fuel makes more heat. Air intake, you figure? Or a sensor reading things wrong?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Fromthehills

Still hoping for some insight, I still don't have it figured out.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this sounds like sticking wastegate acuator, or maby fuel control actuator (FCA) on the high pressure fuel pump is having problems, does it somke when it is sluggish?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Fromthehills

Doesn't seem to smoke more than normal, when you step on it, thinking about it, I think it smokes less. When you punch it to pass and it's working right, you get some smoke, when it's not right, I don't notice much smoke. Which is opposite of not enough air, isn't it?

I'll look into the wastegate, and the fca, I was also thinking the map sensor, too. I know where the fca and map are, but not the wastegate actuator.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Hey, everyone.