Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

1st Time Deisel Man... HELP me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:40 PM
hattitude
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LindenBoy
2008 Dodge Ram2500 4x4 6.7l Cummins MegaCab SXT.....

I have been advised to leave the original exhuast system on. (Why?)

I was told to buy a programmer. Is the programmer and EDGE or BULLDOG the same thing?

And anything else you want to add will be great.......
I can't argue with the wisdom of removing the DPF, EGR and adding one of the power programers.......... I was thinking of doing the same thing... however...

California is about to start SMOG inspections on diesel engines. It looks like you live in CA. If you add a programer or remove the DPF, EGR you will not legally be able to pass the SMOG inspection.

I am leaving mine stock until the details of the SMOG check are worked out. I DO NOT want tot be in the situation of needing to pay someone to "look the other way" to pass a visual inspection.......

Good Luck..

Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 AM
pizzo
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

California is about to start SMOG inspections on diesel engines. It looks like you live in CA. If you add a programer or remove the DPF, EGR you will not legally be able to pass the SMOG inspection.
You will need to keep your stock exhaust for the Inspection part...
My guess that they look at it once a year? So If I lived in CA what I would do is put my factory exhaust on take the programmer off and then take it for testing then come home and remove it.. Put the aftermarket stuff back on when done...
I know it sounds like a lot of work but in the end it will be worth the amount saved in cost of fuel in the long run....

Quick Reply: 1st Time Deisel Man... HELP me!!!!