Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

1st Time Deisel Man... HELP me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 AM
LindenBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1st Time Deisel Man... HELP me!!!!

2008 Dodge Ram2500 4x4 6.7l Cummins MegaCab SXT.....

I want to know the do's and dont's when it comes to adding aftermarket performance parts considering my truck will still be under warrantly for the next few years. Any suggestions and products will be greatly appreciated.

I have been advised to leave the original exhuast system on. (Why?)

I was told to buy a programmer. Is the programmer and EDGE or BULLDOG the same thing?

I was told to replace my shocks with Trailmaster 9000 to help with the ride. (Will that help?) Any other things that will help soften the ride.

And anything else you want to add will be great.......

Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

The original exhaust has the DPF filter IMO get it the hell outta there as that ends up usually being the first thing to go under warranty. They can't fix whats not there (good thing). Get a DPF delete exhaust and a tuner that has the DPF disable function (not sure who offers this but they do exist. The new shocks I dunno they might help to control the ride better but they sure will not make it ride better. If you do decide to do shocks might as well throw a front level on there and some quality load range E all terrains. Try the cummins section for more help. Good luck dude.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:16 AM
907hemi
Amateur

I dont know who would say to keep the exhaust on your 6.7 cummins first thing is to buy a egr delete kit and get rid of the exhaust. all the problems they are having with those 6.7s are the exhaust plugging up. but if you decide not to get rid of exhaust run it in high rpms, to help burn off plugged exhaust. drive it like you stole it.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
LindenBoy

Ok, Thanks for thoughs bits. I had briefly read in a forum about these two subjects. I will research both and take both your advice.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
LindenBoy

What about performance parts?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by LindenBoy
What about performance parts?
put a 5.9 D in it

Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 PM
reefguy89
Captain

for programmers get the smarty, and do the deletes(egr and dpf). and and turbo back exhaust. check out cummins forum.com

Old 04-10-2010, 01:17 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramhunter9
put a 5.9 D in it
really

there are lots of great performance parts avalible for the 6.7, everything from mild to wild... what do you want out of of it? the smarty is a great choice, but always do gauges first...

Old 04-10-2010, 05:05 PM
LindenBoy

Im actually good with the interior and exterior.. I am looking for more long the line of the ideas like "for programmers get the smarty, and do the deletes(egr and dpf). and and turbo back exhaust"...

Old 04-11-2010, 12:55 AM
pizzo
All Star

Dude you need to shout out to Rich at Doghouse diesel .com User name here is Coaltrain..
What are you intentions with the truck? Daily driver, Sled puller, pull a trailer, run it down the track all night long?
How much do you want to spend?
Are you mechanicly skilled enough to do this parts change your self?

If you want a programmer Smarty is the hot one for common rails. (I know I have a bully dog powerpup) My advice stay away from bully dog good product produces tons of power if you get the right one.. Causes high EGT's and Trans problems if your not careful... Edge not seen one or drove one on a Common rail truck.... VP44 pumper Yes Awsome ride with that...
EGR and DPF deletes are great to have loose all the emissions stuff and its different beast....

But the First thing you want to BUY IS GAUGES gauges gauges that is first
You will want a Rail pressure gauge, Turbo boost, Exhaust temp, if auto might want a trans temp.. These are what I have on my 2004.5....
My rail pressure gauge is made by Quadzilla it mounts on my steering column and I have three gauge pod on the post... its a common set up but you can get crazy with it...
Once your done with gauges feel free to buy what ever you want...
Hope that helps
PIZZO

Quick Reply: 1st Time Deisel Man... HELP me!!!!