Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Looking for a new Tranny......AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:31 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Looking for a new Tranny......AGAIN

So not sure if everybody knows my story about my tranny but it sucks. Its a ATS cost me about 6k and i have broke one imput shaft (witch took ats about 3 months to get it back to me). Now i believe i just blew the hole unit if not at least some clutches and maybe the flex plate. I'm going to keep the truck and build her up right. I need all the advice from you that i can get on witch tranny is best for this truck. I'm pushing a estimated 600hp don't know how much tq. But my goal is to be up in the 750-850 hp range and well over 1000 lbs. Now the truck has 200k on it and it will have 500k before i decide ok it has had enough. But i want something that can handle some good old use and abuse from it. Feel free to vent or give me suggestions on it.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:31 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feel free to vent or give me suggestions on it.
OK...

i hate autos... i have put double the $ in my autos that i ever have in my engines, and i will never run another auto, ...autos are fast, but expect to spend some serious $ to get one to hold, especially behind a cummins, if you are looking for ET's every weekend spend the $ on the auto and build it to the max, but a road warrior, put a manual in it, a good clutch, take the piece of mind and never worrie about it again.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 AM
pizzo
All Star

I dont have as much power and I am not going to get 750-850 hp in my truck. I have searched and searched for the right trans. Some say suncoast and or Goerend. I think i am headed towards a Goerend trans. I was thinking about a ATS but everyone and there brother was telling me I was NUTS for doing it... I did plan on going all out looking to spend around 8,200 to 10k for a trans seems high to some but it will be over kill for me I only wanna hit the 600 mark once on a set of rollers then after that I could care less I have the print out to prove I'm at 600+hp...
I wish the best of luck to you in your search for the right trans for your truck but I'm headed to Goerend transmissions

Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

dodgetrucker. how hard is it to convert a auto to a manual? trust me i would love to have a manual. at the time of purchase they could not find me one

Old 04-12-2010, 03:25 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i havent done one on a third gen yet but i have done a few 2nd gens, and i dont think they are too much different, the basics, trans, bellhousing, clutch assembly, slave cylinder... then you need to see if you have the slave cylinder mount on the fire wall, the 2nd gens, you have to change the pedal mounting assembly because the slave cylinder mount is part of it, clutch and brake pedals, then you will have to check you t-case input to make sure it has the correct shaft, (as far as i know, there are only two different shafts) you can use the auto wiring harness, just have to fish out the nutral start and reverse light wires and hook them up correctly, and will need a manual truck pcm to keep the codes away, thats all i remember at the moment

Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

Well the bad news is this. Tranny is ****ed, i dropped the pan and found some pretty nice size peices of metal in it. So i called ATS and the assured me that they will fix it at all cost and they will be able to get my tranny back here with in a week or two tops. They will put billet shafts threw out and also upgrade the soilids in it to handle what i'm pushing. All in all i shall let you know what comes out of this. This will be ATS last time if something go's a rye.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
jsaunders

Originally Posted by pizzo
I dont have as much power and I am not going to get 750-850 hp in my truck. I have searched and searched for the right trans. Some say suncoast and or Goerend. I think i am headed towards a Goerend trans. I was thinking about a ATS but everyone and there brother was telling me I was NUTS for doing it... I did plan on going all out looking to spend around 8,200 to 10k for a trans seems high to some but it will be over kill for me I only wanna hit the 600 mark once on a set of rollers then after that I could care less I have the print out to prove I'm at 600+hp...
I wish the best of luck to you in your search for the right trans for your truck but I'm headed to Goerend transmissions
ATS is junk!

600 hp will give you over over 1,000 lbs tq

goerend is great- or ultimate trans out in the westcoast

goerends holds my "little" hp

Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

Ya thats the store with ATS they are junk. But this is the last tranny in her. if this one ****s the bed then she will be in the barn for a couple months.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:24 PM
hottrodder67
Professional

So Just under 3 weeks ago i sent the tranny back to ATS. Just like what happened last time dealing with ATS, they tried to screw me over again. They sent me false emails and lied to me on two occasions. I finally got a hold of somebody in upper management and gave them a wrath of hell. After ripping this company apart over the phone the manager tells me he'll look into it and call me back. did not hear sh*t from him for a day or two....just like last time ATS will never call you back. I finally got a phone call from him saying he is shipping my tranny back to me. Charged me 750 for the head aches. I WILL NEVER EVER EVER BUY OR RECOMMEND ANYTHING TO ANYBODY FROM ATS. I will not even buy a t-shirt from them. If they send me one well i'm simple going to whipe my *** with it.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
2005RAM2500
Rookie

Go with Goerend, it's a good trans and I had an very friendly and personable company.