Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Strange clunking noise????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Dodge Deano
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange clunking noise????

hey guys! New to this site, and found it looking for an answer to my problem.
I drive a 2006 Dodge ram 3500 4x4 laramie quad cab, 5.9L Cummins with auto transmission. It has 150,00kms (93,000 miles).
My noise problem???
Nothing as i drive regular speeds...but as I slow down below 40km/hr (30 mph) the clunking noise starts. As I slow down, the noise frequency gets slower. It sounds like a hammer banging on the floor or something. It only happens after 15 minutes of driving, when its all warmed up, and happens with or without the brakes in use.
Rear diff. oil has been changed, tranny oil changed, no driveline clunking as i shift it into, or out of gear from park etc (U-joints).
Any ideas out there?????
Thanks in advance, for any ideas or suggestions,
Cheers,
Dean.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 PM
pizzo
All Star

trans mount maybe or cross member loose. Is it auto 4x4 (switch on dash) or manual 4x4 (lever on the floor) if manual maybe the lever is hitting the floor board. side to side play..
My friends 99 has a horrible bang when he hits a pot hole found a cab bushing was bad.
hope you find it
Pizzo

Old 04-18-2010, 02:23 PM
buzzsdiesel

I have a 05 4x4 that was making the same noise around 90,000 miles. I found that the u joints in the front axle right behind the wheel bearing had gone bad. Replaced both of the joints with ones you can grease and that has taken care of the noise. Hope this helps you out.

Quick Reply: Strange clunking noise????