Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

diesel do diesel don't

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010 | 06:09 PM
nonessential
|
Default diesel do diesel don't

I don't know anything about diesel fuel, and I don't want to learn all there is to know.
I've read many who say, stay with gas if you don't know about diesel. Well, I don't
know the chemical and combustion qualities of gasoline, but I've done just fine for years putting it in and driving.

So just simple questions please: Is it worth the switch? ...and, If I'm in bumF...q Iowa low on fuel,
does every station sell the diesel I would need? thanks

Old 04-21-2010 | 09:09 PM
garrettg84
Rookie

Originally Posted by nonessential
I don't know anything about diesel fuel, and I don't want to learn all there is to know.
I've read many who say, stay with gas if you don't know about diesel. Well, I don't
know the chemical and combustion qualities of gasoline, but I've done just fine for years putting it in and driving.

So just simple questions please: Is it worth the switch? ...and, If I'm in bumF...q Iowa low on fuel,
does every station sell the diesel I would need? thanks
Well, with a diesel, everything should be just about the same as gas. Put in the diesel and go. For these trucks in particular, watch the fuel filter. Some guys on here change it with every oil change, some change the filter once every 15k miles. Depends on your beliefs and the quality of fuel you are using.

As for stations that sell diesel. Start looking around. I've noticed that the more rural I am, the more likely they are to have diesel. Also, state highways and close to interstates are certainly more likely. Larger cities farther away from interstates are less likely to have diesel. I live in BFE Indiana, there is diesel at just about every station I've found around here.

Old 04-22-2010 | 12:11 AM
pizzo
All Star

I live in Chicago and would Pay more for it if I bought it in city limits.. I cross the border to Indiana and there is 6 or more within a 15 mile radius Diesel is a common fuel and is sold at many stations... I go over there because of price...

Old 04-22-2010 | 05:10 PM
RTKILLA

I can say this much, my trucks sitting at dodge with an estimated 19K in damage from bad diesel fuel! I'm sorry I ever bought this truck with all the new emissions BS on it, get a gas hog and save yourself the headaches cause the government might regulate the trucks but they sure don't watch the gas stations and this is the 3rd time I've had bad fuel problems in 87K with mine.

Old 04-22-2010 | 11:58 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by RTKILLA
I can say this much, my trucks sitting at dodge with an estimated 19K in damage from bad diesel fuel! I'm sorry I ever bought this truck with all the new emissions BS on it, get a gas hog and save yourself the headaches cause the government might regulate the trucks but they sure don't watch the gas stations and this is the 3rd time I've had bad fuel problems in 87K with mine.
Witch stations are you buying the fuel from? The same station? I got bad fuel one time it cost less the 19k even if you toast a motor it don't cost 19k $8600 for a engine recon from cummins. If It cost 19k I could do a lot more then just put a motor in the truck for that amount

Old 04-25-2010 | 08:59 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by pizzo
I got bad fuel one time it cost less the 19k even if you toast a motor it don't cost 19k $8600 for a engine recon from cummins. If It cost 19k I could do a lot more then just put a motor in the truck for that amount
Tommy, it's a whole different story with the 6.7's.

If there is water contamination, you have to replace the ENTIRE fuel system or they won't cover the work.

On the pick-up trucks, that cost is $18K - $19K.

On the cab and chassis trucks, it's around $23K

Quick Reply: diesel do diesel don't