Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

smoke switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010 | 11:40 PM
tay102905
|
Default smoke switch

guys i need some help. im wantin to put a smoke switch in my truck but i need to know how and if i need a chip in the truck as well? i know its a money drainer but i would like to have some fun every now and then. thanks

Old 04-22-2010 | 01:21 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

they really only work with a chip, i have set some up on stock vehicals, but you need to run a resistor and set it up with a push button, but it is still very easy to set the CEL which also puts it in derate or "limp mode" and youm need a code reader to clear it, so it's just a bigger PITA than it's worth

Old 04-25-2010 | 02:16 PM
brettj2408
Captain

yes, smoke switches in the long run cause problems. putting a resistor inline with your signal wire on your MAF sensor will add more fuel which causes it to be rich and gives smoke. i would recommend not doing this tho.
get a chip and create your own tune with less boost

Old 04-25-2010 | 02:47 PM
Coal Train
All Star

The only thing the smoke switch does is tell the ECM that there is more boost than there really is.

If held for too long, it will trip the MIL and throw and an overboost code. You can either a - clear it with a tuner or scanner, or b - make two consecutive trips of 8 miles or more and it will clear itself. The code will still be there, but the MIL will go off.

Without a programmer or module, it's a waste.

Personally, I look at it like this.....

If you're smokin', you better have the power to back it up.

It's like a flat chested girl with a padded bra.....looks good, but it's all show and no go.

Old 04-25-2010 | 02:53 PM
brettj2408
Captain

Originally Posted by Coal Train
The only thing the smoke switch does is tell the ECM that there is more boost than there really is.

If held for too long, it will trip the MIL and throw and an overboost code. You can either a - clear it with a tuner or scanner, or b - make two consecutive trips of 8 miles or more and it will clear itself. The code will still be there, but the MIL will go off.

Without a programmer or module, it's a waste.

Personally, I look at it like this.....

If you're smokin', you better have the power to back it up.

It's like a flat chested girl with a padded bra.....looks good, but it's all show and no go.

Old 04-25-2010 | 05:59 PM
fckstck
Amateur

anyone know the colored wires to tap when runnin the quad/adren?

Old 04-25-2010 | 06:44 PM
Coal Train
All Star

This should answer your question.

This is a write-up I did over on CF.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...-24v-ctds.html

Quick Reply: smoke switch