Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

6.7L emissions recall J35

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
hattitude
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7L emissions recall J35

I have an '08 Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW w/ 6.7l engine.

I received an recall notice today labelled "Emissions Recall J35 Reprogram ECM- Regeneration Strategy". It states "The new software will eliminate false illumination of the MIL and reduce the potential for exhaust soot accumulation in your engine and emissions components."

Anyone have any insider info on this fix?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 PM
dan983
Amateur
Angry 6.7L emissions recall J35

I just took my truck in for the recall. It took 30 minutes nad is probably the 6th time my software has been monkeyed with. I believe this blue-tec costs 5-6 mpg, highway.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:08 AM
brettj2408
Captain

• The Engine Control Module (ECM) software program on about 26,000 of the above vehicles may cause
illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) when no problem exists or under certain conditions allow
heavy sooting of the turbocharger, exhaust gas recirculation valve and diesel particulate filter. Heavy sooting
could damage emissions components and result in increased emissions.
• To correct this condition, the Engine Control Module must be reprogrammed (flashed).

Old 05-03-2010, 01:15 PM
hattitude
Professional

Thanks for the responses.

I just got back from the dealer. It took 45 minutes. We'll see if I notice any difference.......

Old 05-06-2010, 11:37 AM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

this is why i wont own a 6.7 dodge cummins but there is a better way to deal with the recall, go to ur local performance diesel shop and tell them u want a muffler delete kit. u cant just cut the exhaust of these trucks and put a straight on becuse they have some sort of oil lines or something like that in the exhaust thats why ur truck wont black smoke, i was told if u put enough strain on a 6.7 to make it black smoke and u dont have a muffler delete kit that the trucks computer will shut the truck down.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Coal Train
All Star

The muffler delete isn't what you do on a 6.7. The mufflers on a 6.7 are a straight through type muffler. It's more of a resonator than anything else.

There's no oil lines on the exhaust. There are, however, two air lines that detect back pressure before and after the DPF and tell the ECM when it needs to go into regen mode. These air lines need to stay connected.

There are also 3 sensors that need to be shimmed to prevent the regen mode and not have the truck run like crap when you delete the DPF and EGR.

A stock truck won't smoke because of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), it soaks up all th soot like a mop. Add a module or tuner to a 6.7 that still has the DPF and you'll clog it up in a hurry.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 AM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by Coal Train
A stock truck won't smoke because of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), it soaks up all th soot like a mop. Add a module or tuner to a 6.7 that still has the DPF and you'll clog it up in a hurry.
I am on the fence about the DPF delete kits because I am waiting to see how the CA diesel SMOG checks are going to finally play out.

I have read that the newer 6.7's can't have the module/tuners added because of a difference in the software. My 6.7 is older than the cut off dates I've read.

Now that I've had the emissions software update, am I now considered one of the 6.7's with the newer software.....?

Old 05-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Coal Train
All Star

They've already worked around the Secure Boot Loader that was a problem with any of the trucks that were built or flashed after May 2009.

That was a problem initially, but hasn't been for a while now.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:11 AM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by Coal Train
They've already worked around the Secure Boot Loader that was a problem with any of the trucks that were built or flashed after May 2009.

That was a problem initially, but hasn't been for a while now.

I figured it was only a matter of time..... Thanks for the info!!

Quick Reply: 6.7L emissions recall J35