Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

3500 front rotors????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 AM
spoolandsmoke03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3500 front rotors????

Can anyone tell me whether the front rotors on an 03 4x4 3500 are held on by the big nut and cotter pin or do they just get beaten off from the back side like the rear ones??? Thanks for anyones input!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:38 PM
pizzo
All Star

They are slip on You will need PB blaster or WD 40 spray the lugs are so the lube goes behind the rotor take a hammer and hit the face of the drum next to the studs I usually have to small sledge hammers for this.. A finishing hammer isn't going to work You need something with some weight to it.. the tap on the back side of the rotor with a baby sledge and spin the rotor at the same time.. they should pop off sometimes if you hit it to hard you will crack or chip the rotor.. so be careful when hitting the back side.. Normally I buy new rotors anyways so I hit them with a 20 lbs sledge. I'm buying new ones so why care about the old ones...

Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Like Tommy said, just use some PB Blaster and a dead blow hammer on the hub portion an they'll slide off.

DON'T hit the rotor face, front or back. Just hit it directly downward on the hub. Just hard enough to get a good "ding".

Preferably, use a brass hammer so you don't ding the snot out of the rotor hub.

You don't have to beat it to death, you're just trying to get a little vibration on it to break it free from the rust weld.

Last edited by Coal Train; 05-04-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:19 AM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

the last 3rd gen 4x4 dully i put brakes on once i got the dully adapters unbolted i gave the rotor a good tap or to with a rubber hammer and it came right off. and i found the best way to pull ur dully adapter off if u dont have a nice shop to work in is get some one to hold the brake and use an open end wrench before u pull ur caliber and rotor ect.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by silverbullet-dodgeram
the last 3rd gen 4x4 dully i put brakes on once i got the dully adapters unbolted i gave the rotor a good tap or to with a rubber hammer and it came right off. and i found the best way to pull ur dully adapter off if u dont have a nice shop to work in is get some one to hold the brake and use an open end wrench before u pull ur caliber and rotor ect.
Actually, what works very well on the adapter nuts is the "Poor Man's Impact Gun"

Just put a box end wrench on the nuts and rap the wrench with a hammer to break it free.

Quick Reply: 3500 front rotors????